Chapter Seventy-Seven

You both slowly pulled away from the kiss, your cheeks bright red.

“Do you have feelings for me?” Gilbert asked you.

“Gilbert-”

“Do you, Y/n?”

“Winnifred is better for you. You’d get nowhere with someone like me, but with her you had your dream being offered to you right in front of you.” 

“I don’t want Winnifred, Y/n.” The boy followed after you as you began to step away from him. You stopped as he grabbed your hand, spinning you to look up at him. His hand found its home on your waist and those butterflies you felt flew up your veins.

“I want you.”
You just stared up at him, not moving away from his grip.

“I want you Y/n. I want your bad attitude and your personality and your everything. I want you to be the one wearing my mother's ring and I want to be the first person you come to for anything.”

You only held his hand tighter at this.

“You’ll get nowhere with someone like me.”

“I don’t care about that.” He spoke loudly, trying to get you to listen. “I don’t care if I get nowhere in life as long as I have you. I don’t care if I go broke in the future and never become a doctor because I will still be happy because I will have you. All the bad things will be okay as long as I do it with you.”

Tears brimmed your eyes at hearing his words. You never quite understood love, never felt what love could feel like. And now in front of you was a boy telling you he wants you. 

“Why?”

“Because I love you, Gillis.”

Y/n hand was still in his. You looked down as he began drawing circles into your palm with his thumb.

“I ran from Diana’s to here because Diana told me you would be here.” He said. “I would run across worlds for you because I love you–”

You cut him off by wrapping your arms around his neck and kissing him. The world around you seemed to disappear, he wrapped his arms around his waist, pulling him even closer than they were.

When you finally pulled apart, you rested your forehead on Gilberts or tried to. “Am I insufferable now, Y/n?” He asked.

Your lips curved into a smile. “Definitely.”