Chapter Twelve

 The midday sun cast the room in a warm light, streaming in through the windows. The Small Council gathered around the table, looking to the foot where a dragonkeeper stood. The old man addressed the Small Council, speaking High Valyrian. Darla's eyes drifted away from the dragonkeeper, watching as Princess Rhaenyra finally entered the chambers.

Viserys questioned the man further, using the tongue of his ancestors. Frustration grew in Darla, she wished to know exactly what was being said, hating feeling left in the dark.

"Daemon." Viserys repeated, anger and shock twisting his features.

"The Prince left a missive," Otto explained. "Which I believe might explain."

Eyes turned to the Grand Maester as Mellos began to unfurl the parchment Daemon had left behind.

"It is the pleasure of Daemon Targaryen, the Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne, to announce that he is to take a second wife in the tradition of Old Valyria. She is to assume the title Lady Mysaria of Dragonstone," Darla's ears burned, recalling the name from her days growing up in the brothel. "Her Grace is with child and is to have a dragon's egg placed in the babe's cradle in the custom of House Targaryen." Mellos turned to look at the King, slowly folding the parchment. "The Prince has invited you to his wedding, Your Grace. It is in two days time."

"Gods be good." Lord Beesbury muttered into his wine.

"Who is Lady Mysaria?" Lord Corlys questioned.

"We believe-" Mellos began only to be interrupted by Ser Otto.

"Daemon's whore," Darla's gaze snapped to the Hand, eyes sharp as she glared wholes into the side of his head. "This is nothing less than sedation."

"I strongly agree, sire." Lord Lyonel concurred.

Viserys sighed leaning back in his seat, lifting his hand to rub at his jaw. "My brother wishes to provoke me. To answer is to give him what he wants."

"The realm is watching, Your Grace." Lord Corlys warned, reminding the King of their conversation in the gardens.

"What would you have me do?" Viserys questioned. "Send him to the Wall? Perhaps I could put his head on a spike."

"Daemon has seized Dragonstone, has surrounded himself with an army of gold cloaks, and now stolen a dangerous weapon.

Rhaenyra muttered something in High Valyrian causing the lords at the table to turn to look at her, before repeating herself louder.

The dragonkeeper lowered his head in shame before answering the Princess. Even without speaking the language Darla could see the way Viserys's shoulders tensed, realizing that Daemon had stolen the dead heir's egg.