Chapter 5: A Demigod's Guide to Prophecy-Related Shenanigans

Stilgar began to lead me to his sietch chambers. The trek had been silent.

Once we got to his chambers, I began to practice my sandwalk. Due to my ADHD, I was more likely to focus on the conversation and answering with the correct grammar and such when I was also doing something else. Stilgar realized this quickly and often had me doing something menial or second nature to me when we had to speak of important subjects. Based on his suggestion, I had already gathered that this would be a significant conversation,

Stilgar remained silent for a moment longer, assessing my progression in learning the sandwalk (which I had picked up very quickly, much to his surprise and pride). He also seemed to be finding a way to begin the conversation.

"Ahem, your sandwalk has gotten much better. I am surprised that you have learned it this quickly. Even Fremen children take several weeks to learn such a skill. You have only taken a week and a half. I'm impressed."

I humbly bowed my head and thanked him for his kind words. I couldn't very well tell him that it was because I had god blood in my veins which allowed me to swiftly pick up necessary survival skills. And on Arrakis (the name of the planet as I had found out), the sandwalk was very essential for my long-term survival.

"Speaking of impressed," Stilgar began. "As I said, there is something I wish to speak with you about now that you have found a good enough grasp on Chakobsa."

This did not bode well for me. And I felt as if I could guess what it was about considering the conversation with Jamis. I encouraged Stilgar to continue anyway.

"Well as you know, I was the one who found you and brought you back to the sietch."

"Yes. Of course. And I cannot thank you enough."

Stilgar waved it off. "But what I have not told you is that I witnessed what should have been your death."

I figured as much. And given the situation, there would likely be no other explanation that could satisfy him other than the truth. I knew that I could trust Stilgar, despite the rumors that must have originated with him. Sietch Tabr and its residents have become my home despite the short time I have lived there. If I were to trust anyone with that secret it would be those of Sietch Tabr.

Stilgar continued. "I know that you may not wish to talk about it, and I am sure you would much rather forget being swallowed whole, but my people are getting restless. I had to tell them in order to send out hunters to harvest the teeth of the dead Maker before it disappeared. Now they are wondering how you did so and if you are a true ally of the Fremen or if you are just biding your time to attack. I hope you know where I stand in that regard, but it would be nice to have clarification."

"Yeah, getting eaten by a giant sandworm wasn't exactly on my bucket list." We both chuckled. "But in all seriousness, I will always stand beside you and your people. I am your ally as much as I hope you are mine. Sietch Tabr has very quickly become my home and its residents my people. And someday I hope to take my place among you as a true Fremen." Performing the sandwalk allowed me to focus on what I was saying.

Stilgar smiled at me; he also wished for me to become part of his people. I had always done my best to make my place among them, doing as many tasks and being as helpful as possible; I did not wish to be a burden to them. Doing such also made me think of CHB and how we would all collectively share in tasks. I really missed it and my friends, but my quest was here.

Stilgar walked up to me and placed a proud hand on my shoulder. It reminded me very much of my father, who I desperately wished to see. "You will be," he said assuredly. "and when you make it there, we will welcome you with open arms."