Chapter 28: Urgent Summons

The sun was just beginning to rise as Tanjiro crawled out his box, a somewhat tired expression on his face. He got up to his feet and grew back to his normal height, his fatigued expression changing to its usual blankness.

"Tanjiro-kun~!" Someone suddenly said. Tanjiro turned his head to look at whoever said his name, his blank expression remaining unchanged.

It turned out that Kanao was the one who had said his name, and was swaying side to side in a way that was reminiscent to a ghost with small pink flowers surrounding her. She had her two index fingers pressed together (like this 👉👈) and had a smile on her face, her eyes closed. "Tanjiro-kun~!" She repeated.

Tanjiro simply blinked at her, his expression the exact same as before as he remained completely silent. Kanao giggled and practically floated closer to Tanjiro and began to chase him, continuing to say his name over and over. Tanjiro's expression had now changed to a slightly confused and worried one as his eyes had changed to circles and his eyebrows creased.

"Tanjiro-kun~!" Kanao repeated for the third time as she chased Tanjiro around the room in circles. "Tanjiro-kun~!"

Tanjiro stopped running and as Kanao continued to chase him, Nezuko suddenly stepped in between the two, her arms outstretched.

"Kanao! Quit following him already!" Nezuko said.

Kanao stared at her for a moment, a small frown on her face, before her expression shifted to the same expression she had when she was repeating Tanjiro's name over and over again whilst chasing after him.

"Ne-zu-k-o~!" Kanao said, pronouncing every letter distinctively. She then leaned forward and held Nezuko's hands.

Nezuko yelped and took her hands away from Kanao, who then leaned back slightly. Kanao then began to chase both Tanjiro and Nezuko in circles around the room.

"Let's be friends, Nezuko~!" Kanao said as she chased Tanjiro and Nezuko.

"Kanao! I beg you, please stop chasing us!" Nezuko exclaimed as she ran away from Kanao.

"Oh, don't be like that, Nezuko!" Kanao replied, not seeming to be  stopping anytime soon.

Meanwhile, Aoi was sat on the engawa outside, wearing her Corps uniform and boar mask as she stared at the nature before her. She could hear Kanao and Nezuko shouting inside the house but she didn't pay any mind to it.

"Tanjiro-kun~! Nezuko! Tanjiro!" Kanao said as Nezuko shouted simultaneously:

"Stop! Kanao!"

"Nezuko!" Kanao continued to say.

"Man, I'm starving," mumbled Aoi to herself.

As Kanao and Nezuko continued to shout, the old woman walked towards Aoi, holding a kimono identical to the one Kanao and Neuzko was wearing,

"Pardon me, ma'am," said the old woman as she walked towards Aoi. She sat knelt down beside her. "Those clothes of yours appear to be quite dirty. Allow me to clean them for you. Please wear these in the meantime." Aoi didn't reply, and the old woman continued. "They're pleasant to the touch and quite comfortable."

Aoi didn't say anything, feeling a strange.. feeling inside due to the woman's kindness.

"How does tempura sound for dinner?" The old woman asked. "It's food covered in batter and fried." Aoi didn't respond, still sensing that strange, giddy feeling inside.

"Hey, wait up!" Kanao exclaimed as she continued to chase Nezuko and Tanjiro. "Get back here, Tanjiro-kun!"

Aoi slammed open the doors, letting out a loud yell. She was changed into the clothing the old woman had given her with the upper half of her kimono tied around her waist, exposing her upper body (except her breasts, which were covered by fresh, clean bandages), and was still wearing her boar mask. They all stopped running and Aoi headbutted Nezuko in the back.