2: silent, sleepless 'till the sunrise

Winter had made its way into the cycle, leaves fell off trees, and the breeze was cold. Wren rolled over in bed as his phone vibrated for his alarm. He grumbled and smacked it off, pushing his long dark brown hair out of his face. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, throwing his blanket off and heading to the bathroom.

He brushed his teeth and fixed his hair. He put in his star earring and went back to his room. He picked up the black box on his nightstand and opened it, taking out the black hearing aids. He had drawn small silver stars on them with swirls with Akira 2 years ago. It was the start of junior year, starting his third year of stress.

He sighed, classes felt longer, and he sadly didn't have them all with Akira. He put in his hearing aids and adjusted them, heading to the kitchen where his mom was getting ready for work. "Morning sweetheart, how'd you sleep?" He sighed and popped some bread in the toaster, grabbing the strawberry jam from the fridge and standing to wait for the pop sound.

"Um.. it was okay." He said, yawning. "Still tossing and turning?" She asks softly. He nodded and stretched. "Yeah, but it's fine. Probably just nervous to go back to school, " he said. She nodded and kissed his head. "Well, akira is in more classes this year, right? You've looked at the schedule." He nodded and took the toasted bread out, laying the two pieces on a paper towel.

"Yeah, he's in home room this year, plus a few others." He still wished he was in every class he had. In the past two years of high school, Akira hadn't been in too many classes. In the first year, he was only in two. It was a scary change, and he hated it. They made up for it in the times they'd walk home together and hang out at home.

In the second year, he was in every class, but 3. This year, he was in most of his classes. So far, it was kind of like the second year. This year would be the first time since 8th grade they were in a home room together. At least he had that to be excited about. He ate his toast as they got ready and hugged his mom goodbye. He pulled his scarf on his chin more as he made his way to the train station. He stood and waited, looking around for his friend.

The train took 10 minutes to get to their school, so he had to be up in time to make it. He fixed his hair in the reflection of the train window as passengers exied. He made his way on and sat at the window seat. He watched as his pale friend rushed to the door and slipped on his way in, face planting onto the floor. He smacked his hand over his mouth and giggled.

Akira groaned and stood up, tossing his bag to the seat in front of wren and sitting down. "Almost didn't make it," Wren teased. Akira rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "Yeah, yeah. My alarm went off late." He said, pulling a comb out of his bag and brushing through his white hair. Wren hummed. "Wow, even I didn't miss my alarm."

Akira froze and looked at him. He glared and rolled his eyes. "Ha ha. Very funny." He huffed, putting his comb back in the bag. "Maybe I should do like you and set it on vibrate and sound." Wren shrugged. "I guess you should."
The train whistle blared into their ears, signaling it was time to take off. Wren covered his ears and groaned.

Usually, he'd remember to turn the hearing aids down some for that, but he was too busy messing with Akira. Akira leaned back and looked at him. "Great, I'll probably have a headache later." He sighed. Akira gave a sympathetic smile and hummed. "If you do, I have some asprin." Wren nodded and yawned.

"That's good. So... we're in more classes together than usual." He said with a smile. Akira perked up at his words. "Oh yeah! That's awesome. Didn't you sign up for drama?" Wrens face shifted to an annoyed look as he slouched in his seat. "Ugh, no. I didn't sign up for it. It was my mom's idea." He sighed.

"Oh damn. Well, I did sign up for it." Wren blinked and stared at him. "What? I didn't know you liked that stuff." Akira shrugged. "Well, I'm also in some cooler classes too, don't worry, I'm not a super nerd."  Wren hummed and shrugged. "I mean... you are a total nerd." "Says the star boy."