SIXTEEN

I rewrote the first chapter of this story so it's totally normal if you've got the notification! (I also corrected a few faults in chapter 2 and 12 lol but don't mind)

anyway like I said last time, no need to read it again! Unless you wanna give me some feedback hehe
(I think I kind of improved my writing skills in English since I started this fic...🫣)

ANYWAY ENJOY CHAPTER SIXTEEN!!

______________

ROSE

I was in my father's car, half listening to whatever he was saying, something about the baker pronouncing our last name weirdly on purpose. I was too busy looking at the road, trying to figure out how I could spend a day without running into Descamps, even though we were in the same class.

Which was impossible.

"And then, I told her 'it's Delaunay, Miss. De-lau-nay!'", he chuckled. "It's crazy how people can be so disrespectful sometimes— hey, are you even listening to me?"

"Yes, dad I'm sorry," I sighed. "I'm just a bit anxious."

"Well, you shouldn't be. It's everyone's back to school, today. There's no need to stress yourself out for such things."

"Yeah, you're maybe right..."

"I'm always right," he said as he turned the wheel of the car to the left in a swift move, and the knot that hadn't stop growing into my stomach since we leaved the house tightened when we reached Voltaire High.

I grabbed my bag. "It's okay, I can walk from here."

My dad snorted. "Am I crazy or you're ashamed of me?"

"I'm not ashamed of you—"

"Yes, you are. What is it? You don't want your friends to see your dad? I'm not cool enough?"

I rolled my eyes to refrain myself from sighing. Even though I knew he was only joking, I couldn't help myself but be annoyed. Today wasn't the right day to piss me off, especially not with some dad jokes.

"Yes, you're not cool enough, now if you could please stop the car—"

"Fine, fine! But you're breaking my heart," he said with a fake offended tone, parking the car a few feet away from the school's portal.

"Thank you," I muttered reluctantly, taking a deep breath before I opened the door.

I wish I could stay there with him instead of going to school. I wish it was still the holidays. I wish—

I wish actions had no consequences.

"Have a good day honey," my dad said joyfully. "And don't stress yourself out. Everything will be—"

"Yeah." I slammed the door of the car shut. "Everything will be alright."

I started walking, focusing all of my attention on the pattern, casually smiling and waving at some acquaintances. I tried to not think about it, about what I did, because I didn't wanted to spoil my day yet— but I couldn't help myself.

What if he already told Jean? People aren't looking at me in a weird way, are they?

It's no big deal if he talked. I could just deny it, it's not like there was any proofs

But I was interrupted in my thoughts by the loud noise of a car —my dad's car— driving a bit too fast for my liking.

"I love you!" he yelled out through his window when he passed next to me, honking at me and drawing the whole school's attention on us.