24. The Alchemy

"This happens once every few lifetimes"

***April's POV***

Two Weeks Later

The fall semester is already flying by. We're in the middle of September now. Next Friday is the big Brooklyn vs. Manhattan game which happens to be in Manhattan this year and it's also our Homecoming. Brooklyn's Homecoming is this Friday. Both football teams are undefeated though, so there's a lot of big talk about the game next week.

It's Tuesday now and I'm just getting settled into bed after my volleyball game which was over in Queens. We won, but it was a tough game. After Brooklyn, Queens is our biggest threat. They're outside hitters are literal weapons. I'm exhausted. Varsity is a lot more work than JV, but I actually like the more competitive side of it. And being able to beat Brooklyn just a bit easier.

Spot knocks on my window. He really doesn't need to go through the window anymore since everyone knows about us. Except my parents and I don't know how they would feel about me having a boy in the house when I'm supposed to be sleeping, but they're deep sleepers. I think he just does it out of habit.

I get up and push the window open. Spot kisses me as he climbs in, and then we lay down in bed together, my back pressed against his chest.

"How'd the game go?" Spot asks quietly.

"It was good. Exhausting, but we still won," I respond, closing my eyes. "How's football? Excited for Homecoming this Friday?"

"Yeah," Spot says. I love the quiet whisper of his voice in my ear. "Coach isn't happy with me though."

My eyes snap open and I roll over to face Spot. "Why? What happened?"

Spot smiles at my sudden energy. "Because I'm so tired at practice."

My face falls. "You know you don't have to come here at night, right? I know it's how we see each other but I'll be fine. It's draining both of us."

Spot shakes his head. "I won't stop coming over here until you say you don't want me over here. And even then, good luck. This happens once every few lifetimes. I don't want to lose you when I just got back."

I smile. "You're right. That break was a drag. Worst sleeps that I ever had."

"Exactly." Spot rolls over onto his back and draws a circle with his finger in the air. "I circled you on a map, right there."

"My bedroom ceiling is a map now?" I ask, giggling. "You really are tired."

Spot grins at me. "I haven't come around in a while, but tonight I could be here, so here I am."

I nod. "I really like this. I wish it wasn't so complicated for everyone else."

Spot shrugs. "It's mainly just people like Race. All my closest friends know, and only one of them is skeptical."

"I just don't want you to get murdered during the game next week," I say, rolling over to rest my head on Spot's chest. His heart is beating in my ear.

"I would rather lose that football game than lose you again," Spot whispers.

I tilt my head up to look at him. "You know I've forgiven you for that, right? I understand that we barely knew each other, and we couldn't just give up everything for one another. We're still in high school. But we found each other again. We made a comeback right to where we belong."