Chapter Twelve- Francois

2019
I do not know how, but I am now standing back at the quad where I was before. I am in front of the bench where I last sat, consuming my lunch like a ravenous bird. My body feels heavy against the ground, and Nicolas Moreno stands near me with anticipation painted across his face.

"Are you ready to go to the library as Dr. Peterson suggested?"

I must have blacked out through this because I am unsure how I ended up here.

"I guess? Why are you going to the library with me?"

"It's for your thesis," he says, smiling. "Dr. Peterson said that you need any resource you can to dig more into Marie Guidry's life because of her hatred for Ignace Leblanc. I offered to come with you."

"Oh, you did?" I ask, scratching my neck. I feel like hiding. "I'm sorry, I must not have been paying much attention. I guess you can come with me, but why? I only met you once. We barely know each other."

"Anything for the person who helped me find my flute." He smiles, his eyes brightening. Something stirs in my heart when I look into his eyes.

"It was nothing," I say, scratching my neck as I silently chuckle. "Just kind of strange how quickly we found the thief."

"And how you knew the thief," he said. "I was not expecting that. You knew him, how again?"

"From high school. Iñaki was one of the best musicians there, you know. He even got a scholarship to Juilliard."

I was always jealous of him for getting the full music scholarship, as I could not afford Juilliard, not even with the little scholarship they offered me.

Nicolas keeps his head hanging low and shakes it, sighing. "Que vergüenza. What a shame. Someone like him should be playing at concert halls, not stealing expensive instruments."

I know he has a daughter. I know she's sick, but the more I think about it, the more unsettled I feel. Did we really put too much trust in what he said that night?

"Either way," I say. "I'm glad he gave you your flute back."

Our conversation is interrupted by a familiar voice. My heart squeezes painfully in my chest as I turn to face Jeff, who is looking at me with a narrowed gaze.

"What are you doing here?" Jeff asks, eyeing me up and down, no smile on his face. Of course, there wouldn't be a smile. He isn't happy to see me.

"School," I say.

"Who's the guy?" he asks.

"Um, this is Nicolas," I say, realizing my hand is still on his arm.

"Ah," he says. He crosses his arms and leans in close to me. "So you got yourself a new boyfriend? And you didn't think to tell me you've got  someone new?" There is pure vitriol laced in his words.

"Since when do you care, Jeff?" I stiffen, gritting my teeth. I can't help but think he looks handsome with his light brown hair tapered to the side. I find it hard to look away.

"I have a right to know," he says.

"You lost that right the moment I found out you were being unfaithful, Jeff."

He shrugs. "You know that things between us were bad, I meant it when I said no hard feelings."

"You asshole," I cross my arms against my chest. "You honestly think that sleeping with Bessie Forstall is going to make me feel better because there's no hard feelings? Get out of my sight."

He laughs, shaking his head. It's still too painful to look at. I try not to remember the memories of us sitting on the bench here at the quad.  Walking together hand-in-hand at the Riverwalk Mall, hand in hand. No, Corrie. Stop. He left you for her. You have got to get over him.