Across the Fence (Part 1)

Jungkook leaned against the fence separating his backyard from the one next door, watching as the moving truck pulled up in front of the house. It had been empty for a few weeks, and he was curious about who his new neighbors would be. He glanced at his phone, scrolling through social media absentmindedly as he waited.

Suddenly, the sound of laughter caught his attention. He looked up to see a group of people emerging from the house, carrying boxes and furniture. Among them was a boy with tousled brown hair and a bright smile, effortlessly lifting a heavy box. Jungkook felt a flutter of excitement in his chest as he watched him.

As the boy approached the fence, Jungkook straightened up, trying to appear casual. "Hey, need any help?" he called out, hoping his voice didn't sound too eager.

The boy looked up, his eyes widening in surprise. "Oh, um, sure!" he said, flashing a grateful smile. "I'm Taehyung, by the way."

"Jungkook," he replied, feeling a rush of warmth at the sight of Taehyung's smile. Together, they carried the box into Taehyung's new house, exchanging small talk along the way.

-

Over the next few days, Jungkook found himself spending more and more time outside, hoping for another chance to see Taehyung. Sometimes they would bump into each other while taking out the trash or watering the plants, and each encounter left Jungkook's heart racing.

One afternoon, as Jungkook was practicing his taekwondo kicks in the backyard, he heard a voice behind him. "Wow, you're really good," Taehyung said, leaning against the fence.

Jungkook felt a blush spread across his cheeks as he turned to face Taehyung. "Thanks," he mumbled, suddenly feeling self-conscious under Taehyung's gaze.

Taehyung grinned. "I used to take taekwondo classes when I was younger. Maybe you could teach me some moves sometime?"

Jungkook's heart skipped a beat at the thought of spending more time with Taehyung. "Sure, I'd love to," he replied, trying to keep his voice steady.

As they continued to talk, Jungkook couldn't shake the feeling that there was something special about Taehyung, something that drew him in like a magnet.

-

One evening, Jungkook was sitting on his porch, scrolling through his phone, when he heard a soft tapping on the fence. He looked up to see Taehyung standing on the other side, a sheepish smile on his face.

"Hey, sorry to bother you," Taehyung said, "but I couldn't sleep, and I saw your light was still on. Do you mind if I join you?"

Jungkook's heart did a somersault at the thought of spending time alone with Taehyung. "Of course not," he said, trying to keep his voice steady as he motioned for Taehyung to come over.

For hours, they talked about everything and nothing, sharing stories and secrets under the moonlight. Jungkook felt like he could talk to Taehyung forever, like they were somehow connected in a way he couldn't explain.

As the night wore on, Taehyung yawned, rubbing his eyes sleepily. "I should probably head back inside," he said reluctantly.

Jungkook nodded, feeling a pang of disappointment at the thought of saying goodbye. "Yeah, me too," he said, standing up from his seat.

But as Taehyung turned to leave, Jungkook found himself reaching out, grabbing his hand gently. "Wait," he said, his heart pounding in his chest. "Stay a little longer?"

And to his relief, Taehyung smiled, squeezing his hand in return. "Okay," he said softly, his eyes shining in the darkness. "I'd like that."