Chapter 3

Hot shot was currently in Cook children's hospital. Hot shot was about to start his treatment for cancer. Hot shot was kind of nervous and scared. He was wonder what to expect from it. Hot shot knows it will take a lot of treatment in order to get better from the cancer. Hot shot is wondering what is going to happen when treatment starts and what treatment was going to be like. He knew the treatment was going to be tough but it is nothing he really can't handle without his family. Today Hot shot was going to have his simulation scan to start his radiation therapy. Hot shot was kind of scared and nervous about it.

Hot shot was first checked over by Dr. Grete his radiation oncologist. Hot shot knew he was going to check him before the simulation scan to make sure he was alright. Hot shot was wondering about a few things. "Hello Hot shot how are you doing today?" Dr. Grete asked.

"Okay I guess," Hot shot said. "I am kind of scared about starting treatment," he said giving Roxy the rhino a hug. Hot shot took Roxy almost everywhere in the hospital.

"That is completely normal," Dr. Grete said. "Most kids do feel scared before treatment begins because it is a new experience," he said. "Kids are sometimes still scared shortly after treatment begins because it is still new and can be difficult because it can make you feel sick, tired, weak, easily bruise, catch germs easily, lose your appetite, make it hard to remember things and lose your hair," he said. "It maybe difficult but it will be good for you in the long run," he added.

"Okay," Hot shot said. "How much of my brain will get the radiation?" He asked.

"It usually depends on the type of brain tumor and if it spread," Dr. Grete said. "Medulloblastoma is usually a case where the whole brain and spine get radiation," he said. "But if the medulloblastoma gets proton radiation it will only go to the spots where the cancer is but we don't offer proton here, if me and the other doctors recommend proton therapy you will have be taken by transport during your stay at the hospital to the center that offers it and we given them your mask to use during treatment and after treatment you will be brought back to the hospital," he explained. "Your mask will have will not only help keep still but also help make sure the radiation goes to the right spot," he said. "Some kids need radiation to another part of their body and not their heads, if that helps s the case they make a special cushion." He said. "The mask or cushion will on fit the person it is made for, because different people have different features," he said.

"Okay," Hot shot said. "Will I get chemotherapy during radiation or get it after I am done with radiation?" He asked.

"You will get it after radiation, once radiation ends you will need to wait 5-6 weeks afterwards to get chemotherapy so your body can rest and recover," Dr. Grete answered.

"Okay," Hot shot said.

Hot shot was then taken to another part of the hospital to get his mask made. Hot shot saw his friends there and he waved at them. Hot shot met a lot of kids there who were getting radiation therapy too.

Soon Hot shot was taken back to get his mask made. Hot shot met Steve the mold room tech. "Hello Hot shot," Steve said. "Are you ready to make your mask?" He asked.

"I'm ready," Hot shot said and he gave Roxy the rhino a big hug. Steve stretched the warm and soft mask over Hot shot's face after softening it in warm water. Hot shot stayed very still, then after several minutes the mask was hard. Steve took the mask off. "Okay Hot shot your mask is made," Steve said.

"It looks like me," Hot shot said.

"Soon it will have holes put in for your eyes and mouth so it will easier to see and talk during treatment," Steve explained.

Then after making his mask Hot shot got a planning scan. It was part of the simulation so they could know what type radiation he was going to need, where he was going to need it, and how long he was going to need it. This way Hot shot can get the best treatment possible and recover from the cancer. Hot shot had another MRI. Hot shot had a few MRIs before this to look at his tumor so Hot shot knew he had to stay still. Hot shot also knew he was going to need several MRIs during treatment and even once he was finished with treatment. So he was going to have to used to being still for a long time. Hot shot's scan took about 36 minutes. Now that it was over Hot shot could go back to his room.

Once in his room Hot shot had some medicine to take. After that he was able to have his lunch. Hot shot was still thinking about a few things. He knew treatment was going to take a while but he wanted to know how long for him personally. But there was time to worry about that later. Hot shot was ready to be brave for his treatment to begin. Hot shot saw his father come in a bit later that day. "Hello son," Heatwave said. He was holding a few things.

"Hi daddy," Hot shot said. "What is that stuff?" He asked him.

"They are presents for you," Heatwave said. "One is from me, one is from the fire chief, one of these is from Blades, one is from Boulder and the last one is from Chase," he said.

"Why did they give me presents? It is not my birthday until November, and it is not Christmas yet," Hot shot said.

"Some people give presents to people who are very sick or hurt or in the hospital or had surgery it is their way of saying I am thinking of you and I hope you get well soon," Heatwave said. "It is a way of showing that someone cares about someone who isn't well, and hoping the person who's not well, gets better," he said.

"Oh okay," Hot shot said. One of the presents was a new picture book that was from Boulder. One was a toy fire truck from the fire chief. One was a coloring book from Chase. One was a toy helicopter from Blades. The present from his father was a plush Jaguar that was all black. Hot shot loved the presents. But he was just glad he was being thought of by these people. Hot shot soon saw Dr. Zhao was in his room a bit later.

"We decided to start radiation on Monday and you will have X-ray radiation, which means you will have you radiation treatment here at Cook Children's hospital. It will happen in a special part of the infusion center to be done." Dr. Zhao said. 

Hot shot knew it was going to be alright when treatment starts, and it was okay to be scared. But he was ready to be brave. His father was going to stay with him tonight and the next day. But his mother had to home. He was sad but he knew his mom was going to come back just like his dad. He was ready to be brave and fight his cancer hard.