𝑋𝐼𝑋. "Intermission"

"Because I want you to come over my side, Y/n. I want your skills in the service of the Band of the Falcon."

You didn't know why, but that sentence sounded so predictable. There had to be a reason behind all this, Griffith couldn't ask without getting anything in return, that's what you thought as your eye focused back on the distant target.

«Tsk, if you think you can fool me with your tricks...»

«Are you going to stare at it all day??» Sonia's voice suggested from afar, but you didn't let that take away your concentration and so, you raised your arms to draw the bow.

«Why get so heated when you already know how it will end?» Irvine sighed as he sat next to her. Now that the news was circulating about your joining the team, the atmosphere became more tense among the members of the Band of the Falcon and though he couldn't see, he wasn't totally indifferent to it «She's more capable than seems, despite her delicate condition...»

«She's smarter than you think.»

Sonia quickly turned towards the voice, surprised to see the Great Flame Dragon there and she smiled, it was quite unusual to see Grunbeld interested in something other than the battlefield.

«I see, you enjoy Y/n's company after all.» When the blonde girl dared to insinuate that, the red-headed knight tightened the frown on his forehead as the blind archer held back a chuckle «And don't say that's what Griffith told you to do. I can see the way you look at her from a distance–»

«It's exactly my job to supervise her and make sure she doesn't do anything stupid.» Grunbeld replied in a low tone, it wasn't a game for him and he tried to ignore Sonia's teasing, moving his gaze towards you again...you were still standing and the wind was blowing your short hair back, revealing the tense features of your perfect face. Feeling the leather on your arms and chest put you at ease, making you forget about the weight that was resting in your womb.

«...you're feeling it too, right?»

You held your breath for a few seconds. There, you shot the arrow, grinning when you saw it hit the bullseye as you expected. Until now, you thought that this would weaken you, that pregnancy would change who you were but as time passed, you had realized something...

«That was quite a shot!» Sonia's cheers brought you back to your senses and you lowered the weapon, but when you looked up, you found the giant knight blocking your view and you huffed loudly.

«Something troubling you sir? I hope it's not me.» You tilted your head to place the bow on your shoulder casually, but as always, Grunbeld's expression was anything but friendly, he didn't like your negligence.

«If you continue like this you will end up giving birth to a disabled child.» He didn't let himself spare a cruel comment to intimidate you, but you raised an eyebrow, without removing your mocking smile and he already knew what you were thinking in your damn head.

«Nice of you to believe I'm normal.» You finally said before walking past him to reach the entrance to the fort «But I guess if you had the chance, you'd just want to crush me right?»

You didn't expect the flame-haired man to hear you, much less listen to you and so, you left Grunbeld on the field alone to reflect on your words.

If there was anyone to crush, it would be the little man you left behind, or that's what he had thought, as he broke the arrow you had shot in his palm with little force, pretending not to be angry with whoever got you like this.