Eve's new job

Eve needs some cash right now. Her situation is bad and she can't find a way out of it without finding a job that will pay her fast.

She looked through local job offers from a position of a babysitter to a physical worker at the local construction side, but nobody seemed to be interested in hiring her. Waiting for phone calls that never came through or emails that never got delivered, at this point she was ready for everything as long as her work meant that a few bucks would fall into her pockets.

She was in the middle of tapping into the keyboard of her computer, filling up yet another blank form that maybe somehow would land her a job.

When all of a sudden her phone rang out, vibrating inside her pocket. She sighed and pulled it out before accepting the call from the unknown number.

She rolled her eyes before saying

"Hello?"

In her usual raspy and tired voice, not expecting much more than another bot call, asking her if she was in so dire need of car insurance or something along those lines, but instead of a bot she was surprised with a similar female voice.

"Hi! Is this Eve? It's Emily from the Gas station-"

Eve's heart began to beat faster as she clutched her cell phone, her voice changing into that of an excited and happy one.

"YES YES THAT'S ME"

The voice on the other end shared her enthusiasm as she answered with a chuckle.

"Well, I appreciate your enthusiasm! Listen Im in NEED of someone who could help me with the night shift, are you up for it?"

She answered immediately with a clear and loud "YES"

"Awansome! Can you come down to the gas station sometime around the evening? I will show you around and give you your work uniform"

Eve again answered with the same enthusiasm as before, she was smiling like an idiot as she held her phone up to her ear.

"Awansome! See ya soon Eve!"

Emily said her goodbyes and pressed the end of the call button on her phone screen. Yet another call for her but a life turning out for Eve.

Eve was almost ready to come down to the station, she gave herself one last look in the tall old mirror standing in her anteroom, fixing her bangs and checking if her makeup was nothing less than top-notch, her outfit was carefully selected to make a good impression on her potential boss or even a soon to be coworker. She was wearing an oversized black t-shirt, with ripped-off sleeves, and a metal band logo in white print in the middle of it. The logo looked like such a mess and mix of letters it was almost impossible to say what it read out to an untrained eye. Her shirt paired nicely with her pair of dark blue jeans with ripped spots on the knees. All of it was topped with a pair of red worn-out vans, white laces that already had turned grey were almost falling out along with the silver metal rings out of the shoes.

It was almost too clear that she focused on her makeup and hair instead of the outfit itself. Her black as-night hair was cut into a mullet with her bangs cut into a clean straight line looking like a barcode against her pale skin.

Eve took in a deep breath to gain some confidence calm down her anxiety and head out to face her new job opportunity.

The gas station wasn't that far away from her place but it was still located in an isolated part of the town which filled her with this dreadful feeling, Pine trees surrounded the place from all sides, illuminated by the dull yellow light of the rusty street lamps. She made her way over to the front glass door and pushed it inward to finally step inside the station.

She had been here multiple times before but it looked much more sad and depressing at night, it looked like a location from some old horror video game.

The tall woman behind the counter was the only thing that somehow gave the place more charm, she was standing between a pile of green lottery tickets and a display of cheap off-brand chocolate bars.

The person behind the counter was wearing a white t-shirt with a white, shiny pin with a name on it that said "Emily". She was a tall young woman maybe in her mid-twenties, freckles decorated her tanned skin, and her dark blonde hair was tied back in a tight ponytail.

"I assume you are Eve?"

She smiled looking down at Eve as she was much more taller than her.

She smiled back in response before speaking up.

"Yeah we spoke over the phone-"

In response the woman behind the counter, opened up a small shelf under the register and pulled out the same shiny pin she was wearing herself along with a black thin marker. She carefully wrote down her name on it and slide it over the counter to Eve.

"Here you go, feel free to try it on"

She fidgeted it around her fingers before she pressed on the back off the pin until the small needle came up and carefully put it on her shirt.