XV - secrets

━━━━━━━ ♚ ━━━━━━━

Less than a week later, Kendra finally got a taste of freedom. The group had finally made it to the outskirts of civilization where the famous faces were free to browse the new town they found themselves passing through.

Furs and heavy clothing bundled up every person milling about, and Kendra finally felt justified about wearing every single piece of clothing she had just to feel warm. Despite the fact it wasn't even snowing today—a rare break as they traveled further North in winter—the chill bit her cheeks.

The town itself had a crowded feel, like they had just kept squeezing in more wooden buildings as the population grew. She kept finding herself having to contort down tight alleyways and meet bizarre dead-ends. Thankfully, the close quarters fostered a crowd that was useful for concealment, and that made it easier to let her guard down.

It was nice, after the past few weeks of travel, to be around all the locals. She loved most of her group, but it could get grating to live and breathe with the same seven people day in and day out. And of course, there was the whole thing with Garreth...

Unfortunately for Kendra, she was actually paired with Garreth and Eve for this excursion.

Garreth and Kendra hadn't really talked to each other since she had pushed him away. He was acting like nothing had happened, except for the fact that he never looked at her anymore. Sometimes she looked at him after someone's bad joke, but he stared straight forward. She would avert her eyes, something unpleasant curdling in her stomach. He looked just fine.

Meanwhile, Kendra was suffocating. She didn't know from what. There were a myriad of reasons she could be drowning but she pinned it on the monotony of their traveling. That was the least scary, easiest-remedied of all her fears.

So, she embarked on this expedition into town with little in mind except the desire for novelty to cure her of her ailment. Already, she had indulged her curiosity by visiting a few stores selling clothing and other odds and ends, and now the tavern with its big red letters and sound of music enticed her.

The tavern's doors were rickety and opened easily with a push. Garreth trailed behind her, holding the basket of supplies she had bought earlier. Eve bounded ahead and ran to the bar. The warmth of the inside thawed their frozen faces, and Kendra flexed her fingers as they regained feeling.

The patrons of the restaurant paid them no mind, and all Kendra got was the nod of the bartender. She could rest easy.

Laughter and jokes filled the atmosphere and a musician played the guitar on a small raised platform. It reminded Kendra of the tavern back home. Every Saturday night, the local band played music until the sun rose. Her heart squeezed with longing.

Lacquered wood ran the length of the bar, and Kendra traced her finger along one of the rivulets. Garreth took a seat beside her and set the basket on the counter. Eve had already inspected the bar area and had left, presumably to investigate every crevice she could find.

The barmaid's braids flew as she rushed to tend to the new customers. "Anything I can get you two?"

"Any honey? Or something to soothe a sickness?" Garreth asked.

Kendra bit her tongue. The bartender ran her rag down the counter as she clicked her tongue. "No honey, I'm afraid, but I do have some tea that John swears cures every ailment."

"It does!" The faint shout came from the group of men playing cards in the back and laughter soon followed.

"Perfect." Garreth smiled and inclined his head. "Thank you so much."