Chapter 1

"Say it again."

"Ah, Miss......"

"You chatter with your open mouth, but when I tell you to speak in front of me, you shut it tight? Are you ignoring me?"

"Ah, no, ma'am!"

On a dazzlingly brilliant summer day.

Before me stood a line of maids, shivering as if it were winter even in midsummer.

Because they had been gossiping behind my back without noticing my presence.

'If you're going to do it, do it secretly.'

I was well aware that the servants of the mansion looked down on me and despised me, but hearing it directly with my own ears was different.

If I ignored it after hearing it, they would blatantly disregard me in the future.

I glared at the maids with fierce eyes.

"I'll give you a chance. Repeat what you just said."

"That, that is......"

"You can't do it? You, a bastard, dared to play all sorts of tricks, didn't you? Ah, or maybe you said that I might not be the real daughter?"

After being ill for a week and going out for the first time, I was more irritable.

The maids kept their mouths shut till the end and exchanged glances among themselves, and finally, my patience wore thin.

"Kneel."

"I apologize, Miss!"

"Didn't you hear me say kneel?"

"I will never do it again!"

"Kneel!"

At the moment I tried to force the maids down.

Daringly, the maids dodged my touch and struggled, and it was rather I who was pushed.

And then, at that moment.

'- Huh?'

My body wobbled, leaning backward.

The faces of a few maids, who, surprised, backed away, slowly came into view, and the pendant I always wore fell helplessly to the ground.

Crack.

It was the instant my mother's only relic broke.

In an instant, strange memories surged like a flood.

"Yoon Ga- eul."

"You may regret it someday."

"Take my hand!"

"You'll die if you do- !"

Bang! ......Thud.

"......Eul. Yoon Ga- eul!"

Amid the panorama- like waves of memories, I couldn't regain my composure.

Scenes passing by without rest and the voices of various different people.

'What is...... this?'

Yoon Ga- eul.

A name both strange and familiar, with a scene of someone desperately reaching out to me, was replayed as vividly as what I had just experienced.

Apparently, it was a memory right before death.

In a completely different landscape from where I lived now.

I was momentarily confused, but the pieces of the scene soon found their place in my mind.

Then I realized that it was the memory of a previous life.