Chapter 24

"Could one of you fetch the Duke?"

When the knight, who had taken the lead in guiding and cooking, said so, a slight sense of guilt grew in people's hearts. As if expecting this, Yuder heaved a small sigh under their gazes and rose from his seat.

'Yes, I suppose it would be burdensome for anyone to meet with a high-ranking individual alone. I understand.'

Even Yuder, who had been the Deputy Commander assisting Kishiar and later lived for years in a high-ranking position, was not eager for such a situation. How much more burdensome would it be for the others?

Nevertheless, he decided it was better for him, who had returned after living about ten more years, to act for these younger ones with promising futures.

"...Commander."

As the knights said, Kishiar was standing next to the horse, which was tied to a tree near the creek, not far from the dining area.

Even though he was standing in a dark place, he looked strangely bright, as if surrounded by light.

'I remember that was some sort of lineage effect... but I can't remember.'

"It's time for you to eat."

"Ah, has it come to that already?"

Kishiar turned around.

"You came all the way here alone. It seems you are the most trusted among the ten."

"That's not quite the case."

They all must have quickly noticed that there was no better person to put off troublesome tasks than someone who wouldn't be scared no matter where he was placed.

People quickly recognized those who provided an opportunity to hide behind them.

Yuder walked ahead without looking back, a few steps in front of Kishiar. It was proper etiquette to either walk ahead of or behind a superior, so Yuder thought it would be better to walk where Kishiar couldn't see him.

"When your name was called out earlier..."

However, if words came from behind, it was ultimately futile. Yuder stopped his silent walk.

"You looked incredibly surprised. Did you really not anticipate it? That I would call your name."

"...My ability is not to read the future."

He simply remembered what had happened in the future. But this time, everything that had happened then had changed. How could he not be surprised?

Even so, he hadn't expected Kishiar to notice and bring it up when they were alone.

"Right, of course. But it was quite refreshing to see such an expression. It was interesting."

"...Is that so? Should I say I'm glad to have entertained you, Commander?"

Yuder's voice was icily calm. His tone was polite, but the meaning behind his words was the exact opposite. There was no one here who did not understand that.

"Hahaha."

Kishiar laughed.

"So, are you discontented with following me? If you want to go back, you can go back right now."

"I will fulfill my duty."

Yuder answered as succinctly as possible. Whether he liked Kishiar or not, turning back from here was absolutely not an option. He had a goal to protect Kishiar, and the Red Stone, with his own hands.

"You're really fearless. That's why you're interesting."

"..."

Without responding, Yuder turned his body and began walking again.