Hawkins High

Hawkins High School was a huge place, not only did they house the high school but the middle school as well. There was a daycare down the road and an old diner that had been there since the 60s, according to Robin Buckley they had the best milkshakes and Malts (much to the dismay of Scoops Ahoy).

It had been a week since Annie's first day at Hawkins High and, like Eddie had predicted, they'd eaten her up. In first period she tripped and fell on her way into the classroom. Then, during lunch, someone had found out that Eddie had given her a ride to school. From then on her and Eddie were both in for teasing and ridicule from other students, causing Eddie to somewhat avoid hanging around Annie for too long. It wasn't like she and Eddie were close anyway , he had given her a ride to school once and they shared playful banter to keep away the awkwardness in the air. Though Eddie had kept the nickname of "Anthrax" as much as Annie hated it.

"Excuse me?"

Annie looked up from her book and into the face of a blonde haired and blue eyed cheerleader. It was normal for Annie to sit alone, she wasn't to close with anyone and Steve Harrington always picked Robin up for lunch.

Chrissy Cunningham was about the same height as Annie and very thin, with kind eyes. She smiled, Annie swore her smile could melt the meanest persons heart.

"Annie, right? I'm Chrissy. Um cheerleading auditions are starting soon and if you want to try out..."

Annie held in a laugh. "Ah, no thanks it's not really my thing."

Chrissy sat down and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "I understand. How are you adapting? Hawkins is a big change from New Orleans."

Annie shrugged. "It's uh...certainly different...No offense but I didn't think it was possible for a whole town to pick on one kid because of how he looked."

Over her first week Annie had heard about all she could stand about Eddie Munson being the "spawn of Satan" and a "trouble maker". Someone going as far as saying he was a future convict with no hope for redemption. She couldn't understand why this whole town save for a few harbored so much hate towards Eddie. Granted she didn't know much about him, just that he looked different and listened to some unpopular music.

Chrissy bit her lip. "Well...quite honestly I don't think he's all that bad, but he is a bit rowdy...he's slept with the entirety of the girls in his science class, damaged some mail boxes, sells drugs...I personally just think he's lonely."

Annie was locked on Chrissy, surprised by how much she knew. "Damn, he's pretty rowdy then?"

"It'd take a book to tell you everything...but I'd rather let him explain it to you."

The two girls sat for the rest of lunch chatting away. Annie liked Chrissy, despite the cheerleader get up she was a kind and respectful person. It was nice to talk to someone who seemed to not judge others based on appearance.

It was also nice to have a couple friends. Robin was close to graduating and Chrissy was in the same year as Annie. Though Chrissy's world was far different from Annie's trailer park life they got along well, in fact, Loretta quite liked Chrissy. The older woman called the strawberry blonde a good influence and a sweet girl. Chrissy found Annie's tiny room adorable and actually found her various hobbies interesting. Photography, bone collection, grave rubbings, and drying wild flowers weren't everyone's cup of tea. Chrissy even began to enjoy the sound of Fleetwood Mac that would come from Annie's small record player whenever she was over.

Annie couldn't remember the last time she had a friend like Chrissy. Someone who was just happy to be around, she always looked on the bright side, her sunny disposition contrasting yet piecing together nicely with Annie's cynical views.

When Chrissy came down with the flu that Halloween Annie missed her presence at school more than she could believe. As she opened her locker the day before her favorite holiday she let out an ear piercing screech. All heads in the hallway turned and some laughed as Annie scrambled away from the plastic cockroaches that had tumbled out of her locker. She looked around, some students giggled and others whispered as she calmed her breathing. Calmly she picked up the plastic bugs and threw them in the nearby trash, shooting a glare to a group of boys that were laughing.

"Immature pricks." She grumbled as she grabbed her Polaroid and hung it around her neck. That day had been like any other, boring. Hawkins made Annie feel like she was just existing, Chrissy took away that feeling just a bit, but it didn't fix everything. The only difference was that tonight she had to catch Eddie before he booked it from the school like a bat out of hell.

Luckily as Annie ran out the front door she saw Eddie by his van (whom he'd affectionately named Baby) reaching into his vest pocket for his keys.

"Eddie!" She called out, lightly jogging over to him.

Eddie groaned. "What? I can't give you a ride today Anthrax, call Buckley."

"No, no. I don't need a ride...um..." Annie suddenly felt slightly nervous. "Look, uh, you can say no. My mom asked me to ask you to see if you and your Uncle wanted to come to dinner tomorrow."

Eddie smirked. "Oh, sweetheart. If you wanted to ask me to dinner all you had to do was ask. I like being wined and dined~." He winked.

"Uhg! No, Eddie I'm not asking you out. I'm serious, my mom really wants you guys over for dinner."

Eddie looked truly taken aback, maybe even skeptical. He leaned against his van, grabbing a cigarette. After offering her one and Annie politely declining, Eddie took a puff and slowly let out the smoke through his nose and lungs. The simple act almost captivated Annie.

"I'll talk to Wayne...what time she wants us over?"

Annie smiled. "6:30...Thanks, Eddie."