COMET

QUEST OBJECTIVE: Don't get caught!

Darkness had long crept across the sky, lounging over her head. She weaved through its shadowy fingers, dancing across white stone that shone even without the radiant smile of the sun.

She tiptoed across the rooftops of Stormwind Keep and paused against one of the towers. In five seconds, an SI:7 agent would pass below her, patrolling the torchlit ramparts. On the other side, two guards stomped across an open corridor flanked with marble pillars. She listened to the methodical steps, same as every night recently. Her days of raising alarm were long behind her; she knew the routine, like a child avoiding their parents when they were up past bedtime.

As soon as they passed, she pulled herself up, finding purchase in the nooks and crannies of the marble that had finally become muscle memory. Her next goal was a ledge from a former balcony, now smoothed into a curved edge of embroidery to the keep. Her gloved fingers maneuvered across the half-inch blocks of stone sticking out, finding purchase in crumbling edges that dusted beneath her touch.

When she reached the ledge, she paused, looking up. Another twenty yards above her was her prize. But the stone was smoother as she went up — it would be no use to climb.

She pulled out a grappling hook and aimed toward an elaborate windowsill made of stained glass. The wire wrapped around a lantern sconce beside it. When she tugged, the metal claw didn't budge.

She leapt into the air, holding tight to the grappling hook as it whirred. The air whistled by, the night pressing kisses into her cheeks.

Her feet landed on the five-inch wide windowsill, teetering on the very edge. The fall was a deadly, dizzying drop. Then there were the forty-six SI:7 agents and two dozen guards that would come after her.

She scooted to the side, unhooked the window, and slipped inside.

A fire feasted on logs of pine in the hearth, crackling as it licked at blackened marble.

They were marvelous quarters; second to only the king's. She slipped off her boots beneath the windowsill and shut the glass panes. Then she tiptoed across the marble floors and lakes of blue carpet in mismatched socks.

The bed was her favorite shade of blue, like the pale shade of giant mushrooms from the Zangarmarsh — but she tried not to think of the marsh often. When she threw herself upon it, pillows toppled like ocean waves and the silk comforter rippled.

She rolled onto her stomach, facing the door, and waited.

She only had to count to twelve until she heard the soft click of the doorknob shifting. The double doors fell open, and the prince of Stormwind entered the room. As soon as his gaze fell upon her, he smiled.

"Back again so soon?" said Anduin Wrynn. Her shoulders relaxed at his voice; it was soft and melodic. Like music. She would have listened to it all day if she could.

"I just thought I'd stop by and say hi," she smiled, watching him over her folded arms. Her calves teetered up and down behind her like a cat's swishing tail.

Anduin's angelic face clouded over as he approached. "You've been saying hi a lot lately — you've been visiting almost every night!"

He stood in front of her now, arms crossed. Sometimes she missed when they were younger, and she was still taller than him — that all changed a few months ago, when he shot up like a tree, leaving her in the dust.

Anduin crouched down before her so they were at eye level. "It's dangerous, Eona."

"You think I'll get caught?" Eona made her eyes wide. Her legs continued to bob up and down behind her, in spite of her mock dismay. "Do you have that little faith in me?"