𝟎𝟐. 𝐃𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲

Teresina sat in her cozy living room with her daughters, Tatiana and Tonia, as the savory aromas of Chinese takeout filled the air.

Joe walked in carrying the ladies' orders - sesame chicken for Teresina, sweet and sour pork for Tatiana, and orange chicken for Tonia.

"Thanks, Dad," Tonia said sarcastically as Joe handed out the meals with chopsticks. Joe let out a nervous chuckle while Tatiana rolled her eyes in exasperation at her younger sister's snarky comment.

Ever since Teresina started dating Joe ten months ago, Tonia had been cold and resentful of his presence. Teresina wasn't sure if Tonia felt like Joe was trying to replace her deceased father or if there was some other underlying reason for her attitude.

"Come on, Tonia, stop it," Teresina said, knowing that her daughter was giving Joe a hard time.

"Joey knows I'm just messing with him," Tonia said with a fake smile that didn't reach her eyes.

"Right," Joe replied quietly as they started eating, the tension in the room palpable.

Tatiana nonchalantly placed her feet up on Tonia's lap as she ate. "Why do you have to do this every time we eat?" Tonia complained, shoving her sister's feet off of her.

"It's the most comfortable way for me to eat," Tatiana responded matter-of-factly.

They ate in silence for a few moments until Tatiana and Tonia began peppering poor Joe with intrusive questions about his intentions with their mother.

They bluntly grilled him on sensitive topics like if he wanted to get married again or have more children.

But Joe handled the awkward interrogation with grace and maturity, giving thoughtful responses to their probing questions. Though the evening had its prickly moments, Joe hoped he could eventually win over Tonia and become a true part of this little family.

Tatiana asked Joe about WrestleMania XL and the possibility of joining him in Philadelphia, her eyes alight with interest.

Teresina smiled to herself, noticing how her eldest daughter seemed more open to getting to know Joe and spending time with him than her elder daughter Tonia. Joe eagerly explained his schedule for the upcoming WrestleMania event and extended a warm invitation for all three of the women to come to Philadelphia and attend the festivities with him.

"Thank you," Tatiana replied appreciatively, clearly intrigued by the invitation.

Tonia, however, immediately rejected the offer, stating bluntly that she didn't care for wrestling. Teresina sternly admonished her younger daughter for her rudeness.

Rolling her eyes in annoyance, Tonia begrudgingly modified her refusal, saying she would see if she had time.

Tatiana shook her head in exasperation at her sister's behavior. It had been four years since their father's death, yet Tonia still seemed unable to accept their mother dating again after so long alone.

"Stop being a bitch," Tatiana bluntly told her sister, tired of her attitude.

Tonia dismissively stood up and walked out of the room, throwing a careless "Bye, see ya when I see ya" over her shoulder.

"Mom, I'm telling you you need to pop her in the mouth," Tatiana said in frustration after her sister left.

Teresina sighed heavily, responding that she was very close to doing just that, holding her thumb and forefinger a small space apart to demonstrate how close she was to finally losing her patience and popping Tonia in the mouth for her constant disrespect toward Joe.

Ever the peacemaker, Joe gently suggested Tonia just needed more time, though Teresina and Tatiana exchanged weary looks, both wondering if Tonia would ever accept Joe in their lives.

Joe's phone rings, interrupting his conversation with Teresina and Tatiana. He glances down and sees Jonathan's name and picture pop up on the screen.

With a reluctant sigh, Joe slides his finger across the screen to answer the call. "Hey, uce, come over," Jonathan immediately says, his voice energetic and persuasive.

Joe hesitates, glancing at Teresina and Tatiana. "Oh, I'm busy at the moment," he replies apologetically.

Jonathan laughs, the sound tinny through the phone. "Oh, you with your sugar mama," he teases knowingly.

Joe rolls his eyes but doesn't respond to the provocation. Ever since Jonathan found out that Joe had mysteriously come into a lot of money and expensive gifts, he had become relentless with the sugar baby jokes.

"Jon, please," Joe says tiredly.

"It's okay I know you're a sugar baby, uce," Jonathan continues to tease.

Joe shakes his head and decides he's had enough.

"Bye!" he says firmly before ending the call and setting his phone back down.

Jonathan chuckles as he sets his own phone down on the coffee table in front of him. He's sitting on the couch in the living room with Trinity.

She looks over at him curiously. "Why are you calling Joe a sugar baby?" she asks.

Jonathan grins mischievously. "Oh, Joe spent like twenty thousand dollars on sneakers with an Amex Black Card that he got from a 'special friend'," he explains, making exaggerated air quotes with his fingers.

Trinity's eyes widen. "Who is this special friend?" she asks eagerly, leaning forward.

Jonathan shrugs. "We don't know," he admits.

Immediately, Trinity pulls out her phone and turns into an impromptu detective, rapidly scrolling and typing as she searches social media for clues about Joe's mysterious benefactor.

"What are you doing?" Jonathan asks with amusement.

"Found her," Trinity announces triumphantly just a minute later, angling her phone to show Jonathan the Instagram profile she has pulled up.

"How did you find her?" he asks, impressed. "Joe and her have one mutual follower, they follow each other, and Joe's Rolls Royce is in the background of two of her pictures," Trinity explains, pointing out the evidence.

Jonathan shakes his head in awe. "Oh my God! I would have never thought - Teresina and Joe, wow," he exclaims.

Trinity just smiles smugly, pleased with her sleuthing skills. "Yeah, I could see it," Trinity said.

"What do you mean?" Jonathan asked.

"They are very similar," Trinity answered.