The Escape

Sabrina Lightlock

"It's you, it's you! We can't believe it's actually you!" Screamed the man, Kyosil, who was now flailing around in his chains. "You don't know how long Gadriel and I have been looking for you."

How could the Timere do something so cruel like this? This was no place to keep anyone, prisoner or not. This was inhumane.

"It is so good to meet you both. I can't believe it either." I beamed, a huge smile spreading across my face.

I shook my head. I wanted nothing more than to hug my fairies and tell them how happy I was, how excited I was that they were here, but the clock was ticking. "We don't have much time; the royals will be back soon."

I quickly whipped my head around the room, scanning for anything that may be used to cut the chains that were now keeping Kyosil and Gadriel hostage.

I decided to try with my hands first. Climbing up the brick wall next to Kyosil, I itched my way up towards the ceiling where his hands were tied. It looked simple. The chains were tied around each other, so I just needed to untangle them.

I reached over, keeping my boot plastered on the edge of the brick wall as well as I could. "Be careful, princess," Gadriel said, concern laced in his voice.

"Ahhh!" I screamed as my hands met the chains and a fire burned up my arms. I shook my hand rapidly in the air as if trying to put the flames out. My face wrinkled up in pain as I held my hand tenderly.

"Oh no. These are silver chains. They are meant to keep werewolves dormant." Kyosil panicked, taking in my now, swelling hand. "Sabrina, can you heal yourself?"

I slithered in pain, my eyes shutting tightly. "No. I never learned how." I cried out.

Kyosil and Gadril exchanged glances. "I know it hurts, my love. But you can do this. In that corner, there is a sword. Swing the sword and cut the chains loose." Gadriel said strictly but sweetly.

I nodded, taking one last glance at my burning hand. My wolf was howling in pain at even the brief contact of silver, I wonder what it would have been like for a wolf who had been a prisoner here.

I did as Gadriel said, now jumping off the brick and landing on my feet. I dashed to where he told me the sword was. Picking up the cold, heavy piece of metal off the floor, I realized this sword had just been sharpened. Perfect for cutting these chains.

I ran over to the bricks again, with the heavy sword in one of my hands. "Look at her! She is a natural climber, a true Sanatores!" Kyosil gushed, his heart full of pride.

I reached the top and inspected the chains again. This time I had noticed that the chains were tied very closely to their hands, and one wrong move would chop their hands straight from their bodies.

"Hey, it's okay. You can do it, Sabrina. We trust you with everything in our hearts. And even if you chopped our hands off, we would still be loyal to you." Gadriel smiled encouragingly.

"Yeah! We just wouldn't be able to do a lot of things anymore like our hair, makeup-" Kyosil started.

"Would you shut up and let her focus?" Gadriel snapped, jumping at Kyosil.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath focusing hard on the small space between the chain and Gadriel's hands. I was a warrior. Able to make any target.

Opening my eyes, I brought the sword up over my shoulder in one swift motion with my hands locked on the handle. I gripped the sword so hard, that I'm sure at any moment my knuckles would have started turning white.