Chapter Twenty: The Unfortunate Reply

One week later, when Rosa's injuries had supposedly healed, as per Amelia's — and Feren's — previous specifications, the girl was cautious to emerge. Feren even more so. He set a spirit right outside Rosa's door day and night, and there weren't many places where she was and a spirit, or a man of Abett's or Nertín's wasn't. Amelia had been absent in those days either with Mubarak or Keegan, or with the two of them at the same time, and tried very hard not to think of the Tomerin girl wandering her new territories, reminding her to be cautious. The only one who seemed to perceive her as a threat, however, was Feren.

Rosa had had many opportunities to hurt Amelia, seeing as she had indeed been residing in or near the Capital, and she hadn't. But had she been the cause of all the other mysterious deaths in the castle? The ones they had blamed on the queen?

The other women that Rosa had entered Remalda with seemed of little importance. After whatever pass Feren and the youngest had had, he did not seem to be interested in her anymore. Of their conversation, Amelia knew very little. As far as she was aware, they had not meant to stay in Remalda long.

She had expected Rosa's room-darkening presence before she'd appeared. Her sudden aura was no surprise, but that did not make it any less unwelcome.

Amelia settled the creases of a cowl on her lap before acknowledging the weight she felt so plainly behind her. A breath was taken to steady herself. It was not in her to fight.

"You've managed to escape their eyes for a moment, I see."

The woman behind took her time in stepping forward, but eventually she came. Amelia never moved her gaze away from a point on the floor in front of her.

"Yes... if only for a moment."

"I can't imagine how."

No image was painted to answer.

Before the girl could step again, Amelia lifted one hand. "Do not come closer." At her breath, a spirit wove itself from the palm of her left hand. A wolf balanced between them. "It causes pain enough to be in the same providence with you again. I do not want you any nearer to me."

"I would not say the same."

Despite the request that she not approach, the voice sounded closer to the voerr girl's ear. Amelia barely turned in her direction. "What is it you want here, Rosa?"

"Refuge."

"And why should I allow it?"

"Because we have means to the same end."

"And what is that?"

"The death of a corrupted Firica."

The words had quieted and gone before Amelia could think to act. She wasn't sure what to think... but she did not care. Every day she had lived out from under Firican gaze was a day she had never expected. She tried to let that be enough.

She stood, allowing the cowl to fall on the seat beside her. Without a sound she stepped for the door... intending to stride past the taller woman that stood there. She paused beside her tormenter's supposed sister.

One cheek twitched toward the other. Rosa looked down to the girl's exposed hand. Her brow creased as if in real concern toward the compression bandages that stretched from wrist to shoulder. She asked, "What happened to you?"

"Why did you come to Constentine?" Amelia countered, ignoring her question. "Of all the places you could have hidden yourself. You wanted me away from you for so long, and now you are here. Why?" Rosa didn't answer, so Amelia turned her head to see the girl, still in a dress. For as proper as she'd wanted her life, she had sure avoided luxury there.