Twenty

The guard stopped outside the cell door, standing with her hands on her belt. Her mouth, drew up tight in a pout that Brie knew all too well.

"On your feet, Prisoner 141334," the guard said. "Face the wall, you know the position."

Brie did. She stood without further direction, facing the white painted wall to the right of the door. She was the only prisoner in this cell, and for good reason; she'd been attacked by her cellmates, more than once. And it was no secret that there her very rich people, very connected people that were paying to get her some peace and safety by herself.

She spread her feet slightly wider than shoulder width, and placed her arms above her head, finding that same crack and spot in the wall that she always fixed her eyes on.

The click of a radio preparing to send a transmission. "Open cell D4-26," the guard said.

The response. The loud beep. The clang of gears and motors that signaled the metal grate opening.

Brie stood patiently, as the guard entered the cell, keys jangling at her side. The customary sweep of hands down her sides, her legs in between to clear her of any jail shanks. None had ever been found on her. Then the restraints were placed, first on her right wrist, her hand brought down and to her back, before her left was brought down. Then the ankles were put into place. It never made since why her hands were done in front, but Brie didn't question.

She did question, before. That earned her some trouble at the time of that arrest, and a police record for police brutality.

That never made since; Brie doubted it ever would.

Then came the walk from the cell block, through the gated doors and down rather narrow halls compared to the cell block.

In the interrogation room, she was instructed to stand in front of the chair as her wrist restraints were removed and the table chains were applied. The chains gave her a greater liberty with her hands, but little else. Even the leg chains were left in place.

Brie sat, left alone in the room. She focused on the window, one way, of course. She knew there were cameras, as well. The room didn't have a single blind spot in it, unless THEY wanted it.

She didn't wait long, as the interrogator soon entered, carrying her customary stack of documents and papers. She never said a word, as she set the documents down, the last of which being the record kept in her pocket.

"This is interrogation number 42 of Brielynn Hodges by Shau Hao, pronouns she/her." Shau gave the date and opened the first folder for the customary briefing.

They always did the briefing, word for word.

"Please state the legal name that appears on your birth certificate."

"Brielynn Rowan Hodges."

"And please state your pronouns."

"I will not comply," Brie said.

The woman's gaze leveled at Brie. "You are aware that one of the many reasons you are a prisoner here is for your lack of complying with UN law Gender Identity 94211."

"Yes. I will not comply," Brie said.

"That among the charges against you, you are being fast tracked for a trial that will result in you being found guilty and sentenced to a one-way extradition to the penal colony of your choice," Shau said.

"I am aware that for the last seventy-four days, the government body overseeing this process has refused me my right to legal consultation."

"That is no longer a right."

Brie leaned forward. "I am still a United States' citizen and that is still my right."

"The United State's constitution has to come before the UN authority and has been found to be voided," Shua said. "You, having been declared a terrorist, have no right to any legal representation."

"Which makes this whole process null and void, and I would just like to get on my rocket now," Brie said, lacing her fingers together on the table. "I am not going to repent of how I think, or even repent for changing how I think."

"Do you know why you are here, Miss Hodges?" Shau asked.

"Because I converted to Christianity. Because I decided the convenient climate story I have been spoon fed my whole life is tied up in too many ribbons with no solid answers," Brie said.

"None of that is why you are here, Miss Hodges."

"No, the convenient, legal story is that I am here because I am in league with a terrorist cell, that I have conducted terrorist activities and that I told my romantic partner that I don't believe in gender fluidity," Brie said. "The truth is, I am here because I broke half of the seventeen crimes list."

"There is no such list."

"And yet," Brie said. "The last I knew, there were over four thousand people in facilities across the world just like this. And those were only the reported numbers."