5.

"Babbbyyyy!" I woke up to Ryan poking my face. I groaned and rolled away from him, nuzzling my head into the pillow below me, only to realize it was also Ryan.

"What?" I grumbled lazily.

"Your phone's been going off the handle. It's, like, five in the morning. I don't wanna be a dick and go through your phone. If you're fucking someone else, I'd rather not know," he sassed. I rolled my eyes and felt around the nightstand for my phone. Finally finding it, I sat up as my eyes focused on the notification.

Instagram
@john_carver tagged you in a post!

"Fuck," I moaned out, sliding up on the notification. Ryan seemed to notice the life draining from my eyes at the picture on my phone. Rightmart's security guard that night... His head was on a fucking plate.

~°•~°•

"Jess! I found it!" I spoke loudly, my eyes glued to her father's laptop screen as I clicked through Rightmart security footage.

"Not so loud!" Jessica shushed. I felt a pang of guilt wash over me.

"Sorry," I whispered, "I found it."

"Great! What's... What's wrong?" Jess took a seat beside me as my eyes fell on a certain piece of video. Ryan and Scott, dapping up one of the security guards after we'd already gone into the store. He said he didn't recognize anyone... I said nothing as I printed out stills of the security footage. I closed the laptop and stood up, hiking my bag over my shoulder.

"Nothing. I... Give me a ride to the station, yeah?"

"Yeah, yeah, of course!" Jess nodded, pushing off my bland look and grabbing her keys, as well as her own bag. "Bye, dad! We're heading out!"

"Bye, girls! Have a nice time!" Thomas called back as Jess and I left her house, locking the door behind us and piling into her car.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Jess dropped the avt as she slammed her car door shut.

"I think... I think Ryan might have something to do with this..."

~°•~°•

"I know this kid. Lionel. He goes to my school. He's always the turkey in the parade," I spoke, pointing at a teen holding a waffle iron in one of the stills I printed.

"And, I know that guy. He goes to Hanover South. The guy Evan punched, the one you yelled at, remember?" Jess pointed out another teen holding a waffle iron.

"He's the one who started the riot," I recounted, "He had the bullhorn."

"I think is name is Larry or Lonnie or something," Jess tried to remember, but failed, "and thats a cheerleader."

"Thanks, Jess. You're doing great," Newman smiled, noting everything we said. I paused, deciding something before pulling another one out of my backpack.

"This is the last one I have," I spoke. Front and center. Ryan and Scott with that security guard.

"Ryan Baker." Newman gasped.

"He didn't know anyone else than his roommate," Jess leaned back, sucking her teeth.

"And Doug. The security guard that got crushed to death," Newman looked between the two of us. "Did Ryan ever mention knowing Doug? Because he never said that in his statement."

"No." I spoke bitterly.

"Let me tell you something. Be careful who you trust. Both of you." Newman leaned forward.

"Don't worry. I'll take care of Ryan today," Jess spoke up. Then she grabbed her stuff, and she left.

"Thank you, sheriff," I nodded.

"Of course, Fawn. Do you mind if I keep these?"

"No, no, of course not. Go ahead," I shook my head, bidding him goodbye and following Jess out the door.

~°•~°•

"You'll never believe what that asshole did!" Evan greeted me as I left Science, he Scuba and Gaby left History.

"Who? Everyone here is an asshole," I pointed out.

"Jacob!" Gaby informed.

"McCarty ticket kid? For what?" I asked.

"He took Evan's Thanksgiving history paper from Mrs. Hosselin's blog," Scuba snorted.

"It's not funny!" Evan groaned.

"Hey, at least you'll be dead before you get expelled for plagiarizism," I butted in. Gaby just stared at me, hanging off Evan's arm.

"Don't even joke about that."

~°•~°•

"Okay, we need to talk," the group sat in the old storage room at school during our free period.

"Did you finally lose your virginity? How'd it go!?" Evan leaned forward. I rolled my eyes, disgusted that he even thought about that.

"No, asshole. It does have to do with Ryan, though," Jess shrugged.

"He took someone else's virginity! Do I need to beat him up!?" Scuba butted in.

"No! No ones virginity was taken! Ah.. he... He lied in his statement."

"What!?" Gaby gasped, "How do you know!?"

"We went through some security footage from that night. He was with Scott and Doug. The security guard that got trampled," I spoke up.

"He said he only knew Scott and you," Yulia spoke up, confused.

"Yeah. That's why we're pissed," Jess spoke up.

"Well, when did you talk to him last?" Gaby questioned.

"Uhm, this morning. It was just a good morning, though, I hitched a ride with Jess."

"Is there a reason?" Gaby asked.

"Yes. There's a fucking reason!"