Catrina and Hanley

Another day gone and over with. Seems when you finish your job, and a soul is not ready for reaping, time passes slowly. My days have come to a stand still since I became a senior reaper. While teaching fresh faces keeps me occupied, I still find myself more alone than anything else.

Only two reapers know of my past, and they are the only ones I trust with what happened to me. Everyone always asks me why I was the youngest to take my life, and I simply avoid the question or tell them it is a waste of time. My death is no accomplishment to be the youngest, it was to bring attention to the why. With a devolving family, I could not stand off to the side, and watch it with my own eyes. Though, it was a surreal feeling to watch my own funeral.

Church bells rang through the empty square as the townspeople were all gathered in the church. A sea of black filled the pews with long faces looking towards the altar. Two caskets were settled on either side of the priest as his voice rang in the building.

William asked if I wished to join the service, and while I was about to ask him why, the reason made my chest tighten. He assured me we would not attract attention if dressed appropriately. We were in the back of the church, but had a clear view of the altar. The town decided to give a proper funeral for me and my brother, though our parents did not receive the same treatment. Only the priest and undertaker were present for their burial, and put to rest alone. While it was a tad satisfying for them to be alone, it was a bit disheartening to watch them be buried alone.

"May the lord allow these children to rest in peace together in heaven. While one was left to drown in the substances mankind has created, both deserve paradise in the lords hands. May we pray that both Catrina and Hanley live peacefully in God's garden, and let their souls rest together." The priest finished his sermon as he bowed his head along with the townspeople. Silence spoke louder than words as the young girl watched everyone while standing beside a slender man with glasses.

I was grateful for the veil to hide away my teary eyes during the sermon. I never hated my family, I was more distraught, and upset with them, but I do not believe I could hate them. Reminiscing over the good memories was the best I could do to keep them in the light before the bad ones came after, stomping on them like children with ants. Even then, what struck me that day was a pair of eyes watching from the opposite corner of where we stood in the church. I am sure William saw them, but said nothing, perhaps to allow me peace in the moment; however, I saw them. Eyes the color of the indigo blue before the colors of the sun would rise over the horizon. Even while glowing in the dark, they held a familiar aura to them, but they were soon gone as everyone stood from the pews.

"Come, Miss Leafling, we do not need to see them bury you and your brother," William's voice snapped the little girl from her daze. Looking up to him, she gave a nod as her gloved hand reached for his, soon being the first to leave the church while the townspeople gathered themselves to take the caskets to the graveyard of their town. "How are you feeling?" The reaper spoke as the two made their way through the quiet town, though he only heard a hum in response. A sigh left the man before he stopped them once they were safe from the peering eyes of others, taking a knee to being level with the child. "Miss Leafling, are you alright?" He questioned once again, now being personal as he gently lifted the veil with a hand. The reaper was caught off guard for a moment, but his brows furrowed from the sight of my sad expression and eyes full of tears threatening to fall.

I felt mute after we left the church, as if my voice was snatched away. It hurt to speak, as if my throat was parched, aching for water to awaken the cords underneath the skin and muscle. The violinist awaited the curtain call, but to no avail, I could not speak. Even when he asked for my feelings, my silence was enough for him to know I was not in the right mindset for the time being. I had died a week ago, yet there I stood, and stared blankly from knowing my own body was in that small casket. I know William wasn't a father, not even in the slightest, but he was caring towards me, and I accepted it happily. He simply swept me away, and assured me I did not need to return to my home town ever again.