A Day of The Fool

In a realm far removed from the crowded mainland, nestled away from prying eyes, the sun approached with gentle warmth. New Utopia, a pleasant town, embraced the graceful morning of spring. Every Sunday, the residents were exempted from the rigors of labor, adhering to the holy decree of Mr. Fool, who advocated for a day of rest each week. It was a tranquil break, affording time for familial bonds, romantic liaisons, and the pursuit of personal passions for all. The streets laid quiet as most establishments closed their doors, save for a select few providing sanctuary for social gathering.

Yet, amid the general amnesty, a crowd was amassed before the unassuming facade of the town's big cathedral that also served as a school. The structure, neither grandiose nor frail, distinguished itself through its numerous and vast majestic colored windows, allowing light and shadow to travel freely within. With just a glance, anyone could perceive the good maintenance of this establishment, speaking volumes about its significance to the townsfolk.

After a brief pause, the doors of the cathedral parted, revealing a figure of imposing stature. Atros the bishop stood tall and broad, a testament to his giant lineage. His face was adorned with facial silver hair and myriad scars, yet he welcomed his people with a familiar warm smile. The small company displayed a blend of concern and anticipation on their faces. However, despite these emotions, they exhibited no signs of hesitation as they approached the sacred sanctuary.

Behind the group strolled the old priest with Klein, who had taken on the guise and mannerisms of Otis. His demeanor matched his polished appearance, clad in a sleek black trench coat. This wear seemed to be the group's standard, yet Klein's coat stood out subtly with its sleeves accented in shimmering white silver. Despite its formal look, his coat offered both comfort and freedom of movement.

As the group, a dozen-strong, stepped into the main hall, a young blonde haired boy of barely fourteen turned his head toward Atros, a small hint of perplexity on his face.

"Mr. Bishop, we covered this in class, but will I really be in one pathways group forever once I'm assigned to one?"

Klein turned his gaze toward the young blonde boy, seemingly lost in reminiscence, as he observed the old man responding to him.

"Yes, indeed, but rest assured, we'll ensure the path ahead is suitable and harmless for you. And always remember, you're not obliged to proceed if you're not ready."

The young aspirant, though not entirely convinced, chose not to press further and instead nodded before returning to his fellow classmates. "Thank you, Mr. Bishop," he said with a polite tone.

After Atlos returned the politeness, he maintained formality as they walked to the main room. Klein, following beside him, briefly recalled yesterday's promise.

"I've already placed the books you requested in your office."

"How thoughtful of you, Assistant Smith. I truly appreciate it."

Atlos, showing a bit of concern, spoke in a low voice.

"You know, those books are the latest edition available in the Church of the Fool, and they're recommended for an even younger audience compared to the previous edition. The evaluation ceremony has also lowered its minimum age requirement compared to previous years."

Klein nodded, in thought.

It's inevitable that more and more people are beginning to uncover the hidden world of mysticism and beyonders. I fear that concealing such a significant secret from the masses won't be possible for much longer.

He continued to listen as the old man carried on. "It appears the day when crimson will rise and engulf the entire sky is slowly approaching. I just wish we had more time for preparation..."