Chapter Sixteen | Afterwords | 20,959 Words

'One of the deep secrets of life is,
that all that is really worth doing
is what we do
for others.'
Lewis Carroll

❀❀❀

-Afterwords-

Bishop Swinburne stood in the dancing candle light of the Sacristy and held the letter sealed with a wax stamp which was pressed with a large decorative P.

He tore it open to find not a letter from any Pennybacker, but from Reverend Byron Dunleavy. He began to read, taking in the bold script, which strongly suggested Dunleavy had made a place for himself, inspite of his own nervous demeanor.

Septembre 1653, 30th day,

Dear Monsignor Swinburne,

By the time this lettre reachs youre hands I shall be enroute to England. But rest assured we shall return next year.

As you have surely heard by now from Segenah, the Pennybacker Settlement has been abandoned to its ghosts and I strongly recommend that it never hence be settled by anyone ever again. It was thus, as you suspected, as you heard in sultry rumor, cursed. The deaths were many and, many were but infants, offered up to beasts of an orgin that is best not discussed nor dwelt upon.

Myself, I have left behind in some manner, to grant peace and forgiveness to those who performed such acts and also to those who accepted them. I shall say no more about it.

I married the daughter of Edward Patience Pennybacker, of whose pen and paper I now write this. Segenah has returned to Williamstowne, and will thus join us to England for he wished deeply to see this land from which the English had come.

Also Constance, who desires to meet her family and walk upon the ground of which her beloved Granny Dyer did speak of so often. It is bittersweet for her, but as we shall return in a years time, it should not be too difficult a burden.

We shall set sail upon The Patience, the very ship in which her Father took his first sickly breaths and Constance hopes to feele somehow enlightened to know him from this experience as she too, is with child. I told her the babe will be born in England and if she is of the mind we will name him after her Father whether girl or boy.

She seemed genuinely touched by my offer.

As for me, I have not completely given up my ministerial dutys but will decide upon our return to the Americas where God will lead us in these endeavors. We shall speake again, Monsignor.

It is with all respect and brotherly love that I write to you, and may you be well and blessed in your further expression of the ministry of Jesus Christ, the forgiver and savior of all mankind whether on the earth or of the spirit for this is message we preach.

In brotherhood of the Way-
Reverend Byron Dunleavy,
your faithful servant.

❀❀❀

Bishop Swinburne left his Sacristy and ventured outside, letting the autumn sun warm his bones. Nodding to passerby's, he reluctantly made the short journey home and began to cook his evening meal.

Tomorrow was Sunday, and he had much to say to the Presbytery of Jamestowne. He prayed it would not land on deaf ears. He wished fervently for the kind of heart held by Byron Dunleavy and with that in mind, he gave thanks for his meal and ate in silence.

Later, he opened his Bible and read from the Psalms.

'..The Lord is good and His mercy is everlasting..'

Tis true Reverend Dunleavy. Tis true.

❀❀❀

20,959 words

20,959 words.

*Thank you all, for reading, voting and commenting. Sincerely, WendyyWolfe.