T W O

-

"The truth will set you free"

      BRUTUS, our mentor for those last games brought us to district twelve's victor village. Me and Cato would be staying together for what looked like would be around a month. These people thought we were monsters so me and Cato began to simply just hideout in our house.

It had been a week since the failed speech and I didn't want to show my face, while Cato made sure I was fed and went out to buy food occasionally he never really wanted to go out either.

"Al? You awake in there?" Cato called for me knocking on the bedroom door I stayed in. "Mhm come in," I said watching him walk in with some steaming soup, which what smelled to vegetable.

"You should get up today...walk around. It's still snowy but the suns out." He said truthfully placing the soup on my dresser. "This town thinks we're monsters Cato, murderers...and they're not exactly wrong." I muttered before I scooted to the edge of my beds

"We did what we had to do to survive Alice. Like you said, these are the faces of survivors." He said flatly with a dark look in his eyes before snapping out of it, suddenly as i sipped the hot stew from a spoon, Cato scooped me up bridal style.

"I'm not going to let you sit here and rot." He said our faces inches away from each other now making my face bright red, embarrassed since I hadn't brushed my teeth in awhile due to my bed rotting and because I hadn't been so close to Cato since the shower incident.

"mm..." I tried to think of a way to protest but thought up nothing. "Okay let me go brush my teeth, and maybe shower." I said embarrassed, "want some help?" He said not flirty, just being genuine. "Yes please..." I said softly and Cato carried me to the bathroom.

———

After I finished brushing my teeth and showering Cato wrapping me up in towel like a burrito making me laugh a little bit as how he did it. "Nice and tight, now you're all clean." He said before looking down at me tucking my damp hair behind my ear.

Cato had washed my hair for me and scrubbed my back, and even held my tooth brush while I brushed. He was taking good care of me and It's not like I don't like being coddled but I do feel a bit helpless.

"Why do you keep doing that?" I said behind a small laugh.

"doing what?" He said chuckling softly leaning back against the tile wall now. "Looking at me like you're trying to figure out what I'm thinking." I said honestly and he shook his head.

"Because...I...I just really want to..." before Cato could finish his sentence the door bell rang and he quickly left to go answer it clearly trying to avoid my question. I sighed being left on a cliff hanger and went to go get changed.

I put on some warm fuzzy pants that were almost a mix of skinny jeans and sweatpants, and then I put on a black long sleeve before throwing my hair into a low ponytail some strands falling out. I headed downstairs seeing Peeta and Katniss, Peeta who waved at me making me smile softly.

"Oh...we have company." I said softly tucking a piece of flowing hair behind my ear before tightening my ponytail. I got to the end of the stairs and went to the group of now victors. "You're out of bed..." Katniss said trying to comfort me but it kind of just came off cold.

"Yep. What brings you two here." I asked and Peeta smiled. "Well...the cameras have finally left us alone, and Effy and Augusta said we need to figure out 'hobbies' to present to the capital once we start the tour. I've chosen art." The highlighted blonde boy chirped as me and Cato just looked at each other.

"They really want the gorey details of our life huh..." I said softly and Katniss nodded sighing. "so they asked to help you two pick out your hobbies while Haymitch and Enobaria try to fix the whole you two being stuck in district twelve." Katniss said smiling before taking my hand.

"Come with me." She said pulling me along to the cold outside world, but here in district twelve it was actually becoming spring even though the ground was snowy. "Where are we going?" She said as we walked down the road if victors village to Katniss's home.

"So what do you like to do?" The girl asked and I shrugged softly and thought.

"Well I guess I like plants. And gardening." I admitted and smiled, before going with the girl to the inside of her house. It was clean but lived in, and everything seemed very cozy.

"Oh well then you should meet my sister prim, she's all about that kind of stuff." Katniss commented reassuring we'd find something for me.

"So what did you choose Katniss? As your hobby?" I asked as we headed up the steps to her sister Prim's room. "I chose to be a fashion designer. Cinna helped me choose." She said honestly before opening Prims door.

A white goat laid on the floor, sleeping on a couple fluffy beige blankets and prim sat in her bed reading. "Awh...your goat is so cute." I hummed softly looking at the precious animal.

"Thank you" the girl replied with a smile...Katniss do you need something?" She asked putting her book down marking it. "Yep. We need to find Alice over here a hobby, so you're going to help us right you little herbalist?" Katniss announced in a sweet way.

"Show you your ways." I joked and Prim smiled getting up, "to the kitchen." The blonde commanded and we followed her lead going down being greeted by all the jars of herbs and such.

———

After a long day of being taught about Basil, chives, lemon balm, and so much more it was time to head home. Katniss gave me a drink off hot coco to enjoy on my way out. "Thanks Katniss," I said sipping on the coco before feeling Katniss wrapping her arms around me giving me a hug.

"I'm glad you survived. I'm glad we all survived. It's all thanks to Cato." She said honestly as I hugged her back with the cup in one hand. "you know about that to huh?" I said as she pulled away before smiling.

"Well yeah...I'm the one who told him to tell you about his whole situation...I'm kind of in the same boat with Peeta but I haven't found the strength to tell him." She explained looking down and I smiled.

"You should tell him. If no one's going to tell you it'll be me, the truth will set you free." I said before heading out with the Coco and a book Primrose had given me about herbs and their healing properties.

I walked down through victors village seeing Haymitch's candle lit house, and then Peeta's home, nearly at my house before being stopped by a peace keeper. "Stephen Knight." I said breathlessly and he just smiled. "I remember you." He said with a devilish smile on his lips.

"What are you doing here?" I said clutching the book in my hands. "Just keeping an eye on you and Cato. like I've been instructed. Expect a visit soon. From Snow." He said truthfully which made me nervous, my sinking to the bottom on my stomach.

Suddenly Cato called my name from the porch making me feel relieved as I quickly headed to our brown bricked house. Stephen who I once called friend, was now an enemy.

———END———