Chapter 4: Bug Wars

"Rise and shine, my superstars!" Caine announced, making me jump and fall out of bed. I quickly dusted myself off though, and made my way to the main room, not wanting yesterday's events to repeat. I arrived to find everyone there awaiting the new game.

"So what are we doing today?" I asked.

"Good question, today's adventure is... Insect Hide and Seek!" Caine replied.

I felt the color drain from my face. I hated bugs with every once of my being, especially spiders.

Kinger on the other hand looked ecstatic.

"The Circus Tent has been infested with hundreds of these creepy crawly insects, and your job is to catch as many as you can with these!" He snapped his fingers and we were all suddenly wearing some kind of vacuum backpack with a suction tube. "Good luck everyone!"

He then disappeared, and Kinger immediately went off to collect as many as he could, while I backed away nervously.

"What's the matter?" Jax teased. "Afraid of a little bug?"

"No." I replied through gritted teeth.

"Ok...then prove it and catch that one over there." He pointed to a large beetle on the ground a few yards away. I immediately felt the urge to vomit, but ignored it and accepted his challenge.

I slowly creeped towards the beetle, which was minding its own business, ignoring me.

"You have to walk faster than that!" Jax called.

I glared at him for a moment before walking towards the bug and turning on the vacuum. It flew into the tube with an ear-piercing shriek before it was cut short inside the vacuum.

"Wow. You actually did it." Jax said, mildly amused.

I faced him with my death glare while trying not to hurl my nonexistent breakfast.

"Now you do that one!" I exclaimed, pointing to the large centipede behind him.

Ragatha screamed and hid behind me while Jax walked up to the bug with full confidence and sucked it into his vacuum.

"You also afraid of bugs?" I whispered to her.

"Terrified. Especially with centipedes." She whispered back.

"It's spiders with me."

"What are you two ladies whispering about?" Jax asked. "Admiring my good looks?" He teased.

"No, we're plotting your assassination." I replied.

He laughed. "I'd like to see you try." He then walked off to capture more innocent bugs.

"That guy is a pain in the butt." I said once he left.

"Tell me about it." She replied.

We ended up forming a team of our own to try an capture as many bugs as we could. She would get the spiders, while I got the centipedes, both of us screaming if it was particularly large. Eventually Caine called us back into the main room to count how many bugs we all caught.

"Let's see...Wow! A whopping 427! Great job Kinger! Zooble...93 excellent! Kaufmo...42 well done! Gangle...27 good job! Jax...14, nice effort! Ragatha...7, wow! You actually caught some this time! And finally (y/n)...also 7! Not bad! Now let's hear it for Kinger!"

We all clapped awkwardly for Kinger as he beamed proudly.

"Now how about some dinner for everyone?" Caine then summoned a table that was full of dishes with tin lids on top. "Dig in everyone! You've earned it!"

I sat down at the table next to Ragatha, but then Jax sat next to me, making me groan on the inside.

"What's the matter, tuts?" He smirked. "Afraid of me?"

I rolled my eyes and ignored him as I opened the tin lid in front of me, revealing a delicious-looking dinner. There was some 3D roasted ham, some 3D corn and mashed potatoes, complete with a 3D bread roll.

I immediately dug in, savoring the flavors, but realized that I wasn't getting full. In fact, I couldn't remember the last time I was hungry either. Probably because I was trapped in a digital world. Hey, at least I could still taste.

I glanced next to me and noticed Jax eyeing the corn with a strange expression. I took it as a chance to get back at him.

"What's the matter, banana head?" I asked, picking up my corn and holding it up to him. "Afraid of a little corn?"

"No." He said way too quickly. "I just don't like the stuff, it's way too sweet and messy."

"Then prove it."

"What?"

"Prove you aren't afraid of it and take a bite."

He glared at me for a moment as if he was stuck deciding something, until his eyes lit up after coming up with an excuse.

"You know what, no." He smirked. "I don't have to prove anything to you."

I gaped at him. "I caught a giant fricken' beetle and you-"

"You didn't have to." He replied, taking a bite of potato.

That man was in for it.

"Don't fall asleep tonight." I muttered in a low tone.

"Oh, I'm so scared!" He replied sarcastically.

***

"Not sure why you need an entire sack of corn and the key to Jax's room, but here you go!" Caine said happily, handing me the sack of doom and the key.

"Thanks, Caine. See you in the morning!" I replied.

I walked towards the rabbit's room and carefully unlocked it, then peered inside to find he had not heeded my warning and was fast asleep. Time for revenge.

I snuck in and quietly dumped the sack of corn all around him in his bed, and once I was done, I left to get some sleep of my own.

Uh oh. What's gonna happen next?