Prologue Two-Reading of the Will

Two days later (The morning of the betrayal)

The ringing of my phone pulling me from my sleep sends a wave of déjà vu through me, and I'm brought back to the other morning when Mom called to tell me he was dead.

"Rune," Mom says when I answer. "I need you to meet me at the lawyer's office for the reading of the will."

Mom's careful how she delivers the news, but it still has me sitting up with a rush of anger. "I'll pass, thanks."

"You don't understand," she cries. "The lawyer said I don't get anything if you don't come. Rune, you know I need this. I deserve what's in that will. We both do."

Her pleading has my heart softening towards her, and I grit my teeth because I know I'm going to fucking cave. Besides Deyanira, my mom is the most important woman in my life, and she's been through enough hell. If my going to this gives her some peace and restitution for what she's been through, I won't deny her that, no matter what the hell I feel about that selfish prick.

"I'll be there, ma."

"I'm sorry, honey. I know you don't want to be, but I need you this time."

"Said I would, so just stop," I snap.

Blowing out a breath, I brush my hands over my face. "Sorry, ma."

"I love you, honey. See you soon."

When I step into the lawyer's office and see them, I try to turn and walk out. I really do, but I only make it as far as the door when the stupid ass lawyer opens his mouth and seals my fate.

"Mr. Madlocke, please sit down. If you don't remain present during the reading of the will, neither your mother nor you will receive anything."

My fists clench. I'm okay losing whatever the fuck dad wants to leave me, but I won't risk my mom losing everything she's owed.

For an hour, I sit in a room with the shell-shocked faces of three people I hadn't seen since I caught my father with them nine years ago.

My brother, my sister, and my dad's mistress.

What a fucking party!

Seeing them doesn't surprise Mom. Why would it? It's not like she didn't know about them. She's known since the moment he knocked up his mistress.

After Deyanira told me about that bitch showing up at the fucking funeral home as if she had a right to be there, it doesn't surprise me to find her ass here, either.

Judging from the shocked faces of my brother and sister, good ol' dad never mentioned his first family to them.

I could almost pity them if I didn't hate everything they stand for.

I tune the lawyer out, wanting to be anywhere but where I am. The bottom of a bottle of whiskey sounds pretty fucking good right about now.

Then he calls my name and starts going over everything Dad leaves to me.