̶̶̶̶  «̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ «̶ ̶̶̶  Chapter Twelve  ̶ ̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶  

Four days into The Games. Four more people had died since their encounter with that female tribute. She was one of them; from District 8. It was too bad, really. It hurt more for Jimin the more he knew them. But...he still wanted to know some of them, a little bit, at least. They were all kids fighting to survive, after all. They had the same goal.

However, one life in the arena was more important than the rest, so Jimin couldn't be too upset—which alone was awful to think. But grieving was useless if someone else's death meant they were a step closer to Jungkook living.

Jimin felt a bit gross for having this mindset. Jungkook's life shouldn't be more important than any one of these kids. But in this circumstance...it is. It has to be...because only one life was getting out of this arena. Jimin needs it to be the most valuable life to him. And that life was not his own, but Jungkook's.

Jimin looks at his lover, who was staring at the stars just beginning to dot the sky. Jungkook was more beautiful than all the stars combined. His hair was messy, his face was dirty, he looked tired, and hungry, and sad...but to Jimin, he was still flawless.

"Do you think that's where we go when we die?" Jungkook whispers. "The sky?"

Jimin hesitates. "I...I'm not sure, Koo. Hopefully you don't have to find out for a long time."

Jungkook is silent. Jimin wishes he knew what he was thinking at that moment—he usually does, after all. But whenever they talk about mortality, about Jungkook surviving, the younger goes quiet.

Does he...does he want to die for Jimin too?

Jimin shakes his head softly, hoping Jungkook doesn't see. That can't be it. He can't be thinking that way. Jungkook said he wanted to protect him, and Jimin was grateful for it...but he can't be thinking about sacrificing his life too, right?

No, that was crazy. Jungkook has to go home. He has parents at home—parents who have lost a child to The Games already—waiting for him. He had to be thinking about them during this time. This is how Jungkook could choose to be selfish. Jimin hopes he'll be willing to sacrifice his best friend, his lover, for his grieving parents. Then he could be a big brother to Jihyun, he could help take care of Jimin's parents too. Jimin knows the younger would be more than willing.

It all worked out in Jimin's head.

"I hope the afterlife is kind," Jungkook finally says after a few moments. "I hope Junghyun is up there, and that he's happy. I hope he's not in pain like I have been for so long. I hope I've taken the pain from him."

"I'd like to believe he is," Jimin says softly. "Who knows? Maybe he's even working his hardest to protect you and I. I'm sure no matter where he is, he loves you."

"I hope so," Jungkook nods. "I love him too, so much. I've always found it weird that once a loved one passes away, people say they loved them—in past tense. I never stopped loving Junghyun."

"Me neither," Jimin shakes his head. "I've always loved your brother too."

"I'll love him until my dying breath, and then I'll love him after that," Jungkook continues. "I don't see a scenario, no matter what happens, where that would ever be untrue."

"You know I'm going to always love you, no matter where I am, right?" Jimin murmurs. "In life, in death, next to you, or far away in a different world entirely...I will always love you. I promise."

"I promise the same to you," He stares at the smaller. There was so much depth in those gorgeous doe eyes, so much emotion—too much to put into words, but understandable by Jimin regardless. "My love for you goes beyond life and death."