17 | Replacements

The transport ship descended down elegantly on the landing platform of the east side of Jedi Temple docking bay, and Dakota's heart skipped a beat at the sight of Rex waiting for her at the cusp of the platform and walkway. She shifted the gears into park, swiveling out of the seat.

Standing tall and resolute, the Captain exuded a quiet strength that she never failed to take comfort in. Daylight peaked through the stratus clouds, glinting gleaming, casting a golden, dreamy glow across his armor. With a grateful expression, she stepped off the ship.

"Captain," she greeted him warmly, her voice maintaining a professional demeanor. Her frame crossed through the rays of light. "Don't tell me you stood here waiting the whole time we were gone."

Rex returned, his eyes alight with a spark of warmth that kept hidden from within his helmet. "Not the entire time, sir. Fives and I hit up 79's once it twice." he replied, his voice steady and reassuring. "How was the mission to Florrum?"

"A mess, to say the least" Obi-Wan responded before she could as he descended the transport hatch. "but we managed," he continued, sounding tired in the mid-morning glow.

"A headache for later." Dakota crossed her arms.

"I just got word. A council meeting has been called. I must go. See you in a bit-" he nodded to her, and then to Rex. "and you, Captain"

"General Kenobi" he bid, offering a curt nod.

He left them, gracefully disappearing inside the temple archway. Once they were certain he was gone, she looked to the Captain. "We didn't catch either of them" she informed. "They escaped, and at this point, they're untraceable"

"Are we surprised?"

"No, never."

Together, they started for the high archway at a slow pace, drawing out as much time as possible for them to be in solitude. She walked with her arms crossed, and his clasped together at his back. All that connected with the rhythmic brush of their armored shoulders every other step. She continued, looking down at the ground. "I just don't know how much longer we can afford to keep losing them."

"What happened exactly?"

"The two Sith linked up with pirates who had betrayed Hondo. They attacked Florrum, but we managed to drive them away. Hondo lost much of his Empire"

"An Empire that he built on stealing"

"That's... pretty spot on," Dakota admitted, giving a soft, hopeless shake of her head. She sighed "And that's what always attracts the separatist to his planet. He gets himself into these impossibly difficult situations and makes himself a target. I tell him to make good choices, but, he's not much of a listener"

"He's certainly no soldier" Rex mused.

"I'd say the 501st could whip him into shape?"

"If he wants to test his skills on Onderon, then he's more than likely to join the squad." he replied sarcastically.

"Onderon?" she echoed, ceasing her stroll. He paused too, shifting his frame to speak to her more directly. "What's going on there?"

"The current ruling king of the planet, and the monarchy itself, seceded to the Confederacy of Independent Systems."

"Yes, that all happened at the start of the Clone War" she knew this already. Many systems aligned with the Republic, others with the Separatists, and the neutral systems, such as Mandalore, chose to stay out of matters all together.