2. At First Sight

When Steve heard JARVIS warn Tony over the comms, he was shocked to learn that Tony was a father. He seemed too immature to have a kid. But, as soon as he saw Tony rush to the tower to come to your rescue, he understood that his immaturity did not apply to being a parent. And when Tony entered that wormhole, believing that he would die, all Steve could think about was if you'd be okay after the death of your father.

And, it was after they saved Tony, and went to collect Loki that he finally saw you. You laid on the floor, looking uninjured but still completely unresponsive after the last time Tony checked, and all Steve could think about was if Tony would be okay after the death of his child.

"I have to get them to the infirmary. Deal with the God without me," Tony said from your side.

"Tony, no," Steve said when he saw him try and pick you up. "You almost died, just step back okay? I'll carry them."

Tony nodded at the statement, finally allowing himself to feel the soreness of his own injuries.

When Steve picked you up, he saw your eyes flutter open for a second, and the light shining off your eyes made his heart stop. He couldn't comprehend the beauty contained in your eyes. Then your eyes closed, and instead intense worry filled his heart. God, he hoped you would be okay.

★⍟★⍟★

You wake up a couple days later, the blonde man sitting at your bedside. He was staring intently at a book, his forehead creased in what you assume is worry. Worry that you're unsure was caused by his book, or you. You look around the room more. You see the window overlooking the destroyed city, a beside table, but not Tony.

"Where's my dad," you croak, worried that if he wasn't here that he was dead. The last time you saw him was on the news and then Loki—Oh, right. Loki showed up and you almost died, you think. Your dad would be here right? He would be sitting at your bedside, agonizing over every minute you laid unresponsive. So, where the hell was he?

"Oh thank god, we were worried you wouldn't-"

"Where the fuck is my dad?" you say to the man who you finally recognize as Steve Rogers, Captain America and the man your dad has always despised.

Steve sighs. "He's locked himself in his lab for the last few days. He couldn't bear to look at you like this."

"Can I see him, please. I need to know that he's okay."

"Of course," he nods, getting up. "I'll go grab him. I'm glad you're awake Y/n."

Soon, your dad rushes into the room and gives you a hug.

"I was so worried, Y/n. I thought Loki hurt you really bad," he says, and you can tell he's choked up.

"I thought you died," you cry. "When you weren't here I-"

He rubs your back. "I know kid, I'm sorry I should have been here. I just couldn't- I thought I was never going to see you again, and I felt like it might have been my fault."

"Dad, it was Loki's fault, not yours," you assure, pulling away from the hug.

"But if I had made the tower more secure-"

"No. I was on the 80th floor, there had never been a reason to make it more secure. I'm alive, and that's thanks to you and your friends," you say.

Tony sits down in Steve's old chair. He nods, and then you can see his face scrunch and he rubs his hand over his mouth. "I almost- You were almost alone, and that would have been my fault," he says, his voice breaking as his eyes fill with tears. "I can't believe I didn't think about you when I made the choice to be so reckless."

You didn't know what he was referring to, but you grab his hand and squeeze anyways. "But, you were thinking of the world. It's okay. I'm here, you're here. What you risked wasn't for nothing, okay?" He nods. "I would make you some coffee to cheer you up, but I don't know if I'm allowed to leave this bed."

Tony laughs, and wipes his tears. "I'll go check with Cho," he says, getting up. "Love you, kid."

"Love you too, dad," you smile. As soon as he was out of the room, you call to JARVIS, "Hey JARV? Can you tell Mr. Rogers to come back here?"

"Of course, Y/n," he replies.

Steve returns soon, his expression bashful.

"You wanted to see me?"

"Thank you, for waiting for me, and for saving the world," you nod.

"Yeah, of course. It was the right thing to do, and if I wasn't going to help, who would?" Steve replies, scratching the back of his neck with his hand as he leans on the door frame.

You sigh. "I really hate asking this, but, my dad mentioned something about being reckless. Would you please tell me what he did?"

"I don't know if that's my place to say," he says, his posture stiffening slightly.

"Mr. Rogers-"

"Steve."

"Steve, I can't support him if I don't know what happened," you say.

"He saved the world. Guided a nuclear weapon into a wormhole, and it almost killed him," Steve answers, his voice deeper than before.

You feel your throat tighten and your nose burn, but you nod in response. "Okay."

The room fills with silence as you process what he said. Steve opens his mouth to say something, closes it, but ultimately speaks.

"I didn't know Tony had a kid. He didn't mention it when we met."

"Yeah. Most people don't, and he doesn't really advertise it... Do you-"

"Oh god no. I'm too young, plus, the only two people I fell in love with are long gone," Steve quickly answers.

"I'm sorry. I can't imagine how scary your life is right now," you frown. "If you need anything, I will gladly try and help."

He shrugs. "Don't worry about me, sweetheart, I'm getting used to it," he smiles a little. "To be completely frank, the weirdest thing is knowing Howard's son, who's... technically older than me. I used to go to parties with Howard, and now his son is twice my age."

You laugh, blushing a little. "Oh my god, I didn't realize that. You're like what? 28?"

"Yeah," he smiles, "I-"

"You're free to go, kid," Tony says walking in and clapping his hands once. "FYI, I already made a pot of coffee because you're still recovering my sweet gorgeous child. Oh, and Cho said there's a pile of clothes in the beside table. Don't know what it is, but I hope it's fashionable."

"Thanks Dad. I'll meet you both in the living room, just give me like twenty minutes," you reply.

They both nod, your dad finally noticing Steve's presence. Once they leave, you sigh before falling back onto the bed. Your dad almost died, and Captain America just called you sweetheart. Your head spins with emotional whiplash, which makes coffee sound even more appealing. You sigh one last time before getting up and changing. Time to go face whatever waits for you downstairs.

-

a/n: was cho a character at this point in the movies? no. have established bruce as a character yet? also no.
no doctor bruce yet :[