Ep. 2: The Problematic Partner

(Opens with a montage of various engines pulling goods trains with the engines looking exhausted)

Adam Narrating: Goods trains are an essential part of any railway. Whether big or small, they must be delivered no matter what the cost. However, there have been times when we have often worked ourselves a little too hard to keep these trains on time, and sometimes that could lead to trouble.

(Fades to an open mainline with Max and Biggs double-heading a long steel train.)

Adam Narrating: I remember one day when Max and Biggs, our 8f and one of our 9fs were double-heading a goods train full of steel. It was bound for Sodor but the ship couldn't make it, so Max and Biggs were assigned to pull the train. (Focuses on Biggs) Unfortunately, Biggs was long due for an overhaul and wasn't performing at his best and Max could tell.

Max (concerned): Are you alright pal? You seem more puffed out than usual.

Biggs (forcing a smile): Don't worry about me little buddy...I'll be...alright...just going to need a...wee rest after this.

(Shows Max and Biggs continuing down the mainline passing a diesel. Then fades to show a steep gradient)

Adam Narrating: Further up the line there's a steep gradient. This is between the tunnel at the junction and the country station before the works. It isn't as steep as for say the Lickey Incline or Gordon's Hill but it's still tough enough for any engine to get stuck on if they aren't careful. A banker isn't really needed, but unless an engine is struggling then Victoria or Matthew would be called to help push them up the hill (Shows Max and Biggs starting to ascend the hill) and today Max and Biggs were certainly going to need the help.

Biggs: I can...make it, I can...make it.

(Shows Max and Biggs on the hill when there's a loud crack)

Biggs: Ouch!

(The train ground to a halt)

Max (concerned): Are you alright Biggs?!

Biggs (in pain): I don't think so. (sighs)

(Fades to show Matthew coming through the tunnel with a worried look. Then he arrives at the hill.)

Matthew: Everything alright here you two?

Max: I'm fine Matthew but I don't know about Biggs though.

Big G's Driver: Well it's not good, his safety valves burst, his valve gear looks worn out and his right side rod is cracked. It's a miracle we stopped when we did otherwise we would be in a worse situation when we reached Barrow.

Max: Don't worry bud, we'll get you to the works.

(Shows Matthew slowly couple up to the rear of the train then shows the head of the train and the cavalcade slowly make their way up the hill. Then, it shows Max pushing Biggs into the works.)

Max: Get well soon Biggs.

Biggs: Thanks little buddy, hope you can manage without me.

(Max puffs away from the works.)

Adam Narrating: Fortunately for Max,​ he wouldn't have​ ​​​​​to wait long to find out. (shows Max backing into the sheds) By the time he had returned later that evening,​ ​​​​Mr. Matthew had already made some arrangements.

Mr. Matthew: As we all know,​ ​​Biggs had to go to the repair​​​​​ ​yard due to his incident earlier.​ ​​So, for Max to work​ on the upcoming deliveries​​​. He shall be paired up with Taylor until Big G returns.