Chapter 20

"Relax your fingers, they are too tense" Kanako guided her.

She and Nagato were now in the studio of the late Mr. Mori. Taking advantage of Hiroki's absence and following his advice, Nagato asked Kanako to teach her to play the piano, something that the tanned girl accepted without any problem.

"It's harder than I expected" Nagato pronounced. The girl stuck her tongue out from the corner of her lips and tried to reproduce the movements Kanako showed her, but even though she plays exactly the same keys the sound obtained is not the same.

"You're putting too much force" Kanako explained.

"God, was it that hard when you started?" asked Nagato, separating her fingers from the instrument.

Kanako paused to think for a few seconds before denying "No, my father was better at teaching than I am, i also have Hiroki and we always had that sort of healthy rivalry when it came to playing music, it forced us to improve so we wouldn't fall behind...at least until our father died".

Kanako couldn't help but look around with a wistful look, the memories of that time still fresh in her mind.

"Were you close to your father? Before you ask, it is no for me, my old man spends too much time working for us to have any kind of closeness" Nagato said, now having his full attention on Kanako.

"Yeah, I mean, not to Hiroki's point, the two of them were as thick as thieves, but I also had a good relationship with my father, he was a great man" Kanako's smile was strangely bitter, Nagato guessed it was due to recent events.

After all forgiven but they don't forget, although Nagato hasn't interacted much with Ayumu she knows the girl is still suffering from guilt and on Kanako's side although she got her brother back, she is still ashamed of her actions.

"I understand, it's good to have good memories of your father, you never talk about him."

"You don't talk about yours either" Kanako uttered.

"I don't talk about mine because I have nothing to say about him, instead you had an excellent relationship with your father and he taught you to play the piano" As if to emphasize her point Nagato played a piano key in front of her.

"Right...well it's a complex thing, when dad died I closed in on myself, it was a hard blow for all of us...I don't think we ever got over it completely, at least me and mom, Hiroki I think he only did his mourning recently, when he came back to play dad's guitar for the first time in years" Kanako let out a small sigh "He was relaxed, he always had a smile on his face, but he was also firm, he just needed to raise his voice a bit and Hiroki and I would stop doing anything stupid."

Nagato kept listening to everything, getting to know some sides of Kanako that she had never known before.

"Anyway, when he died we all drifted apart a bit and it took months to become a close family again, it was at that time that Hiroki became a bit of a troublemaker fighting all the time"

"And the family got destroyed again" Nagato pronounced, Kanako nodded slowly letting out a sigh "But it got repaired again, which is good...you know, I'm still wondering how you slept with that guy knowing that he hit Hiroki? doesn't sound like something I'd see you do"

Kanako frowned "Well, I actually went to confront him, I wanted to be nice and I was just thinking about threatening him instead of beating him up, so I went alone"

Nagato raised an eyebrow at that "How do you end up wanting to threaten to sleep with him?"

"Well...he told me to talk about it at a nearby karaoke, since we were in the middle of the street, I thought it wouldn't be a problem and I didn't want to make a scene in the middle of the city...so...then..." Kanako's voice seemed to fade and her gaze was lost showing that she had just been submerged in memories "well you know I ended up sleeping with him in that Karaoke".