Chapter 14

The next day came and so the apprehension gripping the house was met. With only minutes before Mr. Davis arrived, Gail and Holly had desperately been debriefing Shilo and Eric. Shilo had been confined to the garden as they didn’t know when Mr. Davis was to arrive and would need her at a minute’s notice. As far as Shilo could tell, she didn’t know Mr. Davis. But as far as his scent and attitude, by the end of the day she would both remember and despise him.

Gail and Holly sat in the kitchen staring out to the road from which he would arrive. They dreaded his arrival as they actually knew him, and they knew what type of man he was. Shilo was valued only as much as he bought her for, her feelings and everything else was nothing to him. All she meant to him was publicity and power. Keeping her under his control was now his top priority. Eric lounged in the television room. From first appearance it would seem as though he was mindlessly watching some random show. However his mind in fact racked through what Shilo had said the day before. It also racked through what his mother had said to him today:

‘Mr. Davis is a bad man. Whatever you do, stay out of his way and don’t provoke him.’ She had looked him in the eyes, making sure he understood ‘It’s not myself, or my job I fear will get hurt. It’s you.’

He had wondered how Mr. Davis would hurt him. It made him afraid and he knew that if it was that risky for him, then it would be even riskier for Shilo. In that moment he vowed to protect her. He stood and moved to join her in the garden. She welcomed him with a smile that shone through her whole face. He sat with her blushing slightly and they watched the world pass them by.

However, the world was not idly drifting by for very long. A car appeared in the distance. It was a long sleek black car, with the capacity of four men. Two suited men were Mr. Davis’ escorts. One sat in the front of the car, the other next to Mr. Davis in the back. In addition to Mr. Davis and his two goons there was the driver. This driver was well dressed and completely unscathed by any place, person or thing that Mr. Davis happened to wish to go to, meet or do.

As the car approached, it was a noticed by a chain reaction. Firstly the sound of rocks being driven over by the car had drifted to Shilo, who had looked at the car. Eric had followed her gaze, and startled that the vicious man was arriving already, he called to his mother. Gail proceeded to look out the window and also saw the car, which was now seconds away. Eric had also alerted Holly and they both proceeded to stand on the porch, waiting for the moment when Mr. Davis would make his big debut.

The car slowed to a halt, the chauffeur getting out to open Mr. Davis’ door. The two goons got out before their boss and proceeded to stand by the car until Mr. Davis was out. As soon as Mr. Davis was out of the car he scanned the area. Spotting Gail and Holly first he skipped over to Eric and Shilo who sat on the floor watching him.

‘Are you sure it’s safe to let the animal run wild?’

His smug tone instantly irritated Shilo who disliked the atmosphere he carried around him. Being up wind of him she had yet to pick up his scent. But Shilo also saw that Holly’s fists had clenched. Holly cared extremely for Shilo, and it was only now, in her struggle to restrain her anger that Shilo realised it. Mr Davis approached them his ego brimming from his very core. He looked down at Shilo, examining her somewhat different appearance.

‘Remember me?’

A whiff of his scent drifted to Shilo and she immediately remembered who he was. This was the man who had ripped her from Andy, dragged her into the hospital and handed her over to this life. He had been the one that Andy had tried to protect her from, but who had made him feel defeated. Shilo could tell that it was the two men with Mr. Davis who had placed the choke chain around her neck and dragged her into the hospital.