Part 15

Present

HUNTER

I slammed the fifth door shut and swore out loud when I found the room empty. Goddamnit, this was not the time to play with me but Lori had a hard time making things easy for me. She always had. But it was okay. She was my woman and she could do whatever she wanted to me, except leave me, of course.

"You can hide all you want, my love, but you can't escape me," I said knowing she couldn't hear me, though I hoped she did as I made my way to the next door.

I knew she hadn't run out of the house, as the guards would've alerted me. I'd given them specific orders not to let her out no matter the circumstances. And the cameras outside would've spotted her in an instant. I should've installed cameras inside the house as well, so I wouldn't be searching for my woman like an idiot. However, I knew Lori wouldn't be comfortable with cameras inside and I wanted her to be comfortable here. I needed her to be happy. This was her home after all, her safe space. She should be able to relax without having the fear of somebody watching her. Not that I would let anyone watch her. She was for my eyes only and always had been.

The sixth room yielded nothing and I refrained from summoning an army of guards to look for her. My kitten wanted to play with me and I was more than happy to play. Though I was starting to get annoyed at her wanting to get away from me.

Never going to happen.

I searched three more rooms before I could feel my temper taking over. This woman would be the death of me. Didn't she understand how much I loved her and needed her in my life? I stayed away for ten years what more did she expect from me?

However, I had every intention of making her pay for those ten years and now that she was here where she belonged she needed to start paying. But it seemed she wanted to continue punishing me. She could do that as long as she loved me and came back to me at the end of the day.

I looked at the staircase and thought about whether I should go upstairs to look for my girl or should I check every room on this floor before going upstairs. Deciding to check the remaining rooms later I decided to go upstairs when my phone rang. I swore and answered the phone once I saw Spencer's name flashing on the screen.

"What?" I barked, impatience bubbling in my gut.

"Do you want me to take the car to her place or should I bring it to you?" He asked.

I actually wanted him to sell her car so there'd be one less way she'd try to get away from me, but I couldn't do that to her. However, I'd make sure she wouldn't have access to her car either.

"Take it to your house or one of our warehouses and make sure it remains safe," I told him, leaning against the banister with my eyes on the ceiling.

"Got it," he paused. "How is she?"

I allowed a small smile to settle on my lips at the concern in his voice. "She's fine now that she's home. Currently trying to play hide and seek with me."

"Why is she bothering with it when everybody knows you'll find her?" He asked with a chuckle.

I rolled my eyes. "She likes to keep me on my toes. She always have."

"Well, you have fun. I'll take care of the car. Suffice is to say you won't be coming to work tomorrow?" He said and I could hear him starting the car.

"Not at all. I need to stay here and set some ground rules for her."

"She doesn't do well with rules."

"They're for her own safety, so even if I have to be a little strict with her I would. I'll talk to you later," I said and hung up when I felt the presence of somebody else. I turned to see August standing a few feet away from me. "What is it?"