Chapter 45: A Treasure Trove Of Memories

The day we had to leave to the Narval House, it was raining like crazy. Was that some sort of foreboding for the mission?

We all gathered in the Nexus hangar, cramming our stuff onto the spaceship. Stella's children had come to farewell her. Two twin girls with the same straight black hair as her. They were playing with their yellow umbrellas as if they were swords, not seeming to be worried by the fact her mother would leave them. They shouted, ran, and rolled on the ground but Stella ignored their chaos. She was busy double-checking the laser equipment and placing it in the spaceship.

Beverly, on the other hand, came alone. She had her head inside the aircraft hood, playing with the engine since apparently, she had heard a wired noise once she tried to fire it up. She had a pair of brown gloves peeking out from her pocket, and she'd woven her curly hair into two small braids.

Since we were heading to the Narval House, they'd hit us up to see if we could grab some combustibles for their spaceships along the way. So there I was, loading up the spaceship with them. Damn, those things were heavy as hell.

I passed next to Heather, who was admiring the other spaceships in the hangar. I'd forgotten how much she loved them. I wished we were on better terms because I was dying to tell her all the things I had learned about thoes stunning machines. But, maybe in another reality.

One of Stella's daughters swung the umbrella like a katana, bonking her sister on the head.

"How dare you!" She yelled, while her sister just giggled away. They chased each other until one of them slipped and fell, dropping the umbrella.

"I've got you, you can't escape!" Her sister said while raising her umbrella.

The other twin shielded her head with her hands assuming her fate. But right before the umbrella landed on her, Heather swooped in, blocking the strike with the fallen umbrella.

"Never give up." She said to the girl on the floor who looked at her in amazement.

"When you're unarmed, you gotta rely on your wits and agility." She explained to her while the other continued to push the umbrella against Heather's. "Look, she's leaving her arms wide open. That's your chance to..." Before she could finish, the girl jumped on her sister like a bear. They both ended up rolling on the ground, laughing.

"Well, I guess that's another tactic." Heather chuckled, shaking her head.

I couldn't help but smile at the cute scene of the three of them. I had never seen Heather interact with kids before, she seemed so patient and tender with them. She caught me looking and I immediately gazed away.

"Behave girls."  Stella said.

They both stopped running and turned to their mother. "Okay, Mom."

"What's this?" one of them asked, her finger hovering over the laser guns nestled in the safe box.

Stella sighed, her brow furrowing. "Nothing for you to worry about. Don't touch it."

"But I want one!" The girl protested.

"Mum, can we fly a spaceship someday?" The other one asked.

"I'd rather ride a hoverbike!" Her sister interjected.

"Can I come on the mission with you?" One said raising the umbrella, ready to fight. "I bet there are fairies on the other side!"

"Faries? Seriously? I think they'll find trolls!" Said the right one.

The conversation spun out of control, the girls' voices overlapping.

"Girls, slow down, please," Stella finally managed to interject.