12. Lamhe: Glimpses of Innocence

Chapter 12 Lamhe: Glimpses of Innocence

As our characters' journey unfolds, your thoughts add color to their world. Share your reflections in the comments below and join the conversation!

Author's POV:

After everyone was done with their meals, the elders started selecting an appropriate auspicious date for Rudrika's wedding and pre-wedding functions, from the list given by Pandit Ji.

The youngsters were busy amongst themselves. Mrinal, Lakshya, and Latika were bickering over random topics. Aryamaan was shamelessly flirting with Rudranshi. Mrinali was hooting for Aryamaan while Shashwat took Rudranshi's side by telling her even more cheesy lines.

Rudransh and Suharika were wondering how to initiate talking. Until today, they spoke in the presence of others or via notes, so they were quite nervous. Suddenly, Suharika's eyes twinkled with mischief as she caught Rudransh's gaze. The corners of her lips curled into a smile, the kind that knew a secret about to be shared. With a voice soft and tender, laced with innocence, she spoke words that danced in the air, light and teasing.

Suharika: Umm... Wo sab jo apna waha kaha, humara dil le gaya, ab humara dil apke paas hai...

Her hands, almost as if they had a mind of their own, came together to form a heart. And Rudransh felt a warmth spread across his cheeks. A blush, unbidden and honest, was a testament to her effect on him. It was a small victory, a moment of surrender in their gentle battle of affections.

Rudransh shyly scratched the back of his neck and thought of something to say in return, something that would make her blush harder.

Rudransh, with a gentle smile softening his usually reserved demeanor, leaned in just a fraction closer. He began, with his voice a low murmur only she could hear.

Rudransh: Acha ji? Fir , uski bhi baat kar li jaaye, Jo dil aapne churaya hai. Apko pata hai, uski dhadkano mein bas ek hi naam goonjta hai, Suharika. Aur apke samne aate hi, iss dil ke saare shabd kam pad jaate hain...

This made Suharika blush and giggle at the same time. And after that, they got comfortable in talking and started talking about anything and everything.

The elders were still busy and Mrinal, Lakshya, and Latika started playing some games. Aryamaan and Rudranshi excused themselves for a stroll in the garden. Shashwat smirked at Mrinali remembering their previous encounter.

Flashback:

Author's POV:

With arms laden with a precarious stack of gifts, Mrinali maneuvered through the doorway, her steps careful and measured. The packages, wrapped in shimmering paper and adorned with ribbons, formed a towering edifice that swayed with each movement. As she approached the door, the topmost gift grazed the archway, sending a tremor through the stack. In a cascade of colors and rustling paper, the gifts began their descent, threatening to scatter across the ground.

As the precarious tower of gifts teetered and tumbled, a gasp escaped Mrinali's lips—a sound swallowed by the chaos of the moment. The world seemed to slow as she braced for the crash, her arms flailing in a futile attempt to salvage the situation. But then, steadiness. Shashwat's hands were there, firm and sure, guiding the gifts back into a safe embrace, his other arm securing Mrinali's balance. And his lips, smirking at her.

She knew what was about to come, a laughter and lecture session from Shashwat.

But first, Shashwat helped her carry the gifts inside and carefully kept them. After that, he turned around and chuckled at Mrinali's 'hoshiyari' of carrying so many gifts in a single time.

Mrinali: Bas na, maan rahi hoon meri galti thi... Has kyu raha hai?

Shashwat: Acha to hansne ka karyakram band karke daantne ka shuru karta hoon...

Mrinali: Nahi, mera matlab wo nahi tha...

Shashwat: To kya tha?

Mrinali: Pata Nahi...

Shashwat: Acha, to jaao...

Mrinali was leaving with her dupatta flowing behind her. Suddenly, she stepped on it and started to fall. But Shashwat was there to catch her quickly. He held her close and stopped her from falling. Mrinali was safe in his arms, surprised and thankful.

As Shashwat gently releases his hold, he ensures that Mrinali is steady on her feet. His hands retreat with a careful slowness, lingering just a moment to confirm her balance. With a nod and a soft smile, he steps back, giving her the space to stand unaided. His eyes never leave her.

In Shashwat's eyes, there was a softness, a gentle warmth that speaks of care and concern. But in an instant, it changes to mischief.

Shashwat: Maana meri jaana, tumne apna dil mujhe de diya hai, par yaar, apni aankhein aur dimag apne paas rakho, unki zaroorat hai tumhe...

Mrinali's eyes narrow, a mock glare taking shape as she processes his teasing words. Her irritation is feigned, a dance they both know well.

Mrinali: Shashwat! Tum hamesha mera mazak udaate ho. Kabhi toh serious raha karo.

Her words carry the lightness of their connection, even as she pretends to chide him. Shashwat's laughter, a rich sound that fills the space between them, is his only reply.

As Mrinali strides away, her cheeks are painted with the unmistakable hue of embarrassment, a vivid red that speaks volumes of the flustered storm within. Shashwat trails just a step behind, a smirk playing on his lips—a silent acknowledgment of the playful banter that unfolded moments ago. His eyes, still alight with mischief, follow her retreating figure, appreciating the light-hearted drama that adds a spark to their interactions.

Flashback Ends.

And the day ends with all the dates fixed. It ends with Latika running after both her brothers with water. (They threw water at her first.) With Aryanshi's vision of getting married soon. With Mrinali not talking to Shashwat. And with Rudrika, really, against all odds.

If these 'Lamhe' touched your heart, let the stars reflect your smile—tap the star button to vote and keep the story alive!

As the pages of our story pause for a brief interlude, I turn to the chapters of my own life—exams await. Your warmth and words have been the wind beneath the wings of this tale. I'll return, with new chapters to share, once the last answer sheet is turned in. Until then, let the stars and comments be the conversations that keep our story's heart beating. See you on the other side of the answers!

~Rahasya ❣️