present: fifteen.

Roan's POV. - now.

“Is this too slutty?” I asked Cindy.

She sat on my bed, scrolling through her phone as I stood in front of the mirror. Cindy fanned herself before flicking her eyes up, “You’re asking me?” She teased slightly. I huffed out a chuckle, brushing my hair behind my shoulders. 

“I think we have different ideas of what’s slutty and what’s not, Roan.” Cindy giggled, “Because this is a regular Tuesday outfit for me.”

I exhaled, “Yeah, you’re right. So this is fine, right? It’s not like… weird? I mean, I am meeting his girlfriend for the first time and I don’t want to come across as a bitch.”

Cindy puffed out a breath, “I wouldn’t worry about that one bit.” She waved it away dismissively and I raised my brows, “What?”

“Meeting her.” Cindy shrugged, “Besides, I thought you said she wasn’t his girlfriend?”

I smoothed my hands over the skirt I pulled out of my closet. It was black, short and even had an extra little slit in the side to expose even more of my legs. But the weather had been nice and I had gotten some sun, and I had been working out a lot and I liked the way my body looked.

“Well, he keeps insisting she’s not his girlfriend but he acts like she is, so.” My voice was a bit sharp and Cindy blinked at me before sighing out, “You two are honestly hopeless.” She mumbled.

I turned around to face her, sitting down on the bed too, “Cindy, we’re friends.”

“That’s a huge load of crap. You spend all your time together, you talk on the phone every single day. And when he was here two weeks ago, he sure didn’t act like he had a girlfriend back home.” She bluntly spoke.

I frowned and she continued, “He couldn’t stop staring at you. It was so obvious. All the others noticed too.”

My cheeks heated slightly and I huffed out a chuckle, “Stop, that’s just… it’s not true. You’re imagining things. Caden and I have adoration for one another, obviously, but nothing more than that.” I shrugged, getting up again to check myself in the mirror once more.

It was Caden’s birthday in a couple of days and he was having a small party tonight, at his apartment. It was kind of my worst nightmare - seeing as I wouldn’t know anyone there. But he pouted and insisted and almost begged, and I easily gave in. Even if I’d be a wallflower all night, I knew it meant a lot to him if I showed up - so that’s what I’d do.

“So, for the last time… this isn’t too slutty of an outfit to meet his girlfriend? I’m not rubbing it in her face that I once had sex with her boyfriend and was in love with him?” I tried to make fun of myself, but I’d hate to be labeled as a bitch. 

Cindy rolled her eyes, “Roan, if you don’t like it, just put something else on.”

“No, I like it.” I frowned, “It’s…” I bit my lip and shrugged and Cindy raised her brows, “Sexy?”

“Yeah.” I breathed, “It’s sexy a-and…” I stopped myself again and looked at Cindy through the mirror, who had a small smile playing on her lips, “You want to look sexy for him?”

I didn’t say anything and Cindy groaned, dropping back on my bed, “You two are hopeless.” She repeated, shaking her head, “So you’re going to this party to make him a little jealous, hm? Show him what he’s missing?”

My skin tingled and I shook my head, “No.” I lied, “Not to make him jealous… It’s just - god, it’s so stupid. I don’t even know why I feel like this. But it’s always been this way - kind of like we each have a claim over one another.”