Chapter 05: Spring 1913 - The Handsome New Chauffeur

I watched the fair being set up with Gwen, Mr. Bates, Fiona, Dan, Theo, and Anna now that Theo's ankle is fully healed. The seven of us took a walk round Downton village to get some fresh air in the morning after completing the usual morning tasks. "This looks so amazing. I've never been to a fair before."

"Her inner child is resurfacing." Dan commented.

"Did you not go last year or the year before?" Mr. Bates asked, slightly confused.

I shook my head. "I had fallen ill last year, and the year before that, I dislocated my shoulder."

"She needs all the luck she can get this year if she wants to go." Fiona, the Robin of Luck, winked at me.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "I'm not accident prone, you know? I have my good days and bad days just like everyone else."

Truthfully, I never actually dislocated my shoulder. I attended a protest with Fiona, Thomas, and Dan in Rippen instead hidden under cloaks with our hoods up to hide our faces. Theo, Daisy, and Anna had to cover for us. It was about freedom of speech, nominations for who would be standing for the next election, which will be happening soon, and encouraging people to support women's rights and having lower taxes.

It was a pretty good turn out, and we've managed to grab more support from people. We don't agree with using our fists to win a fight at all. We use our voices. We always leave a rally or protest at the first sign of the situation getting out of hand.

The police, the government, and the aristocrats seem to think we're criminals and encourage the fighting, but the middle and lower class think the opposite. They believe us to be heroes, and that's what we are. You could compare us to Robin Hood, but we do not steal from the rich. We simply try to persuade the rich to help the poor, and that is why we respect Lord Grantham. He is a kind gentleman who is an aristocrat, but also cares deeply for the people of Downton. Very few first class people can say that.

"When does it open?" Gwen asked curiously.

"Tomorrow afternoon, according to the posters and the advertisement in the paper." Theo answered.

"Well, let's get up a party in the evening, if Mrs. Hughes lets us, after we've had our dinner." Gwen suggested.

"You're right." Anna agreed. "It doesn't come often, and it doesn't stay long."

Fiona nodded. "I'll have a chat with Mum about it when we get back to work."

"You never know Fi, she might even get herself a Romeo." Dan said.

Fiona chuckled and shook her head. "I very much doubt that, Danny Boy. Don't get me wrong, I love my mother, but at this rate, she might as well be married to her own job, bless her."

"Never mind getting permission from Mrs. Hughes, we won't get away with making a lot of noise without Papa's permission." Theo warned.

Dan patted Theo's shoulder. "And that's what you're useful for. To persuade Mr. Carson to let us have fun."

"I have you know, I can be useful for other things." Theo defended himself. He started a verbal war with Dan, but thankfully, not so loudly.

"And what about you, Mr. Bates?" Gwen asked.

"I don't see why not." Mr. Bates sounded optimistic. I'm glad he's feeling much better now. I hope he will find the confidence to speak to us about what troubles him and learns to trust us without having to worry about what we will think.

"Well, there's Lady Mary." Anna grabbed our attention. Lady Mary stood a little further away from us. "You go on ahead. I'll see you back at the house." She walked away from us over to Lady Mary.