24. Rune's POV: To Leave or to Stay

Last night, Destiny peacefully slumbered in my embrace. We shared passionate kisses, and my fingertips delicately explored beneath her dress. However, we did not venture further. I have decided to patiently await until she is ready and only proceed when she asks me to.

Vigdis and Sigmund persistently attempt to persuade me to relocate to The Land of the Gods. However, I adamantly refuse to abandon our home. Their desire to forsake the memories of Ubbe and Harold is disgraceful. They may pursue their own wishes, but I shall not. I refuse to forsake the place of my birth and upbringing, and I believe Asta shares the same sentiment, if only she would emerge from her seclusion to discuss it. It has been three days since our return, and she permits only Vigdis and Katla to enter her presence. Even Remi is denied access and their bond has always been strong, as she adores both nurturing him like a mother and teasing him.

Rising early, I leave Destiny still asleep and embark towards the distant woods by the babbling stream. Armed with my sword, I search for solace in the act of striking a tree. It was not so much a practice of skill, but rather a means to release my pent-up emotions and frustrations. Mindful not to disturb Kolbjorn, who slumbers on the ground outside beneath a modest roof devoid of walls, where we perform the necessary tasks of skinning and harvesting animals. Swiftly, I depart, disregarding the chill in the air, knowing that spring will soon arrive, bringing respite from the harsh weather.

Without delay, I unleash my pent-up rage upon the tree, relentlessly pounding my sword against its bark. As beads of sweat form on my brow and my breath grows heavy, I fail to notice Kolbjorn observing my fervent display. Only when he speaks is when I become aware of his presence. "Would you like a true adversary?" he inquires.

A smile graces my lips as I run a hand through my hair, push it back, and gaze upon my loyal companion, who exhibits no signs of having recently awoken. "Always," I reply.

With swords in hand, we circle each other swiftly. I launch the initial assault, yet he effortlessly evades my strike. On my second attempt, our blades clash, signaling the commencement of our duel. We approach the battle with unwavering focus, treating it as if it were a genuine confrontation, devoid of room for error. The resounding crash of iron meeting iron reverberates through the tranquil morning air. We repeat and practice this for awhile and when we are both breathing heavily and drenched in sweat, we call a draw.

Kolbjorn inquires, as we find ourselves seated against the trees, next to the flowing water, "Have you contemplated the idea of moving to that island?"

Without hesitation, I promptly respond, "Fuck no. Why?"

To my surprise, Kolbjorn confesses, "I have pondered upon it myself." I gaze at him in astonishment. "Do not be so taken aback. You are aware of the circumstances at home with Ludin since Oddveig died. And I have nobody since Signy died."

I slowly nod, comprehending the situation. Kolbjorn is without siblings, and his mother, Oddveig, tragically passed away during childbirth almost a decade ago, along with his younger brother. Since then, his father, Ludin, has transformed into a bitter old man who indulges in ale excessively, surpassing the average man's consumption. This only amplifies his malevolence. There were instances when he would physically abuse Kolbjorn, until Kolbjorn grew larger and retaliated when he was around fifteen years old. Ever since then, he rarely returns home. Vigdis and I suggested constructing a room for him here, but he has always preferred sleeping beneath the open skies.

Signy was his wife, they married at sixteen but it didn't even last a year when she died in childbirth as well, he took it extremely hard and doesn't talk about her often. Or the baby. "I understand your craving to leave," I remark empathetically.

"And I comprehend your perspective as well," he acknowledges.

"I don't believe Asta would want to leave either," I inform him.

"She has already agreed to it," he responds softly.

"What? When?" I exclaim loudly.

"Vigdis informed me last night while you were occupied with Destiny."

"It doesn't make sense. Why would she want to leave our home?"

"Why wouldn't she?" he asks, his tone filled with darkness. "You witnessed what Vidkunn and his nephews did to her that night. Why wouldn't she desire to escape from this place?" We both shudder at the memory.

"I... I never considered it from that angle," I confess. I was so certain that Asta would be on my side, but now I understand her reasoning.

"Let's make a pact," he suggests, a smile forming on his lips as he changes the topic. "We'll go with them to the island, especially before Svenn returns to bother us, and if we don't like it, we can always come back."

"It's a deal," I agree. "Just hoping Kamilla doesn't try to follow us."

"She's already gone. Her horse is missing," he informs me.

"Good riddance," I snort, and Kolbjorn chuckles.

"So, you really like her? Destiny?" he asks, and I can't help but smile as thoughts of her fill my mind.

"I like her a lot. She's unlike any woman I've ever met before."

"Is she going back home soon? To America?" he inquires.

I sigh. "I don't know. But what I do know is that I don't want to be anywhere she isn't. I can only go if she does too."

He nods. "Then you better ask her now."

I glance over to see Destiny walking towards us as Kolbjorn rises to leave. He gives her a smile as he exits the forest and makes his way back to the farm.

"Hey, I wanted to ask you something," I say to her, wrapping my arm around her as she settles down next to me, leaning into my chest. "How would you feel about an adventure?"

"To the Land of the Gods?" she playfully jokes.

"Yes," I reply.

"Wait, you're serious? I thought you didn't want to go," she questions, looking up at me.

"Well, I don't want to go without you," I confess. "But Kolbjorn and I made a deal to at least go and check it out. If we don't like it, we can always return. And since you're not from this century, would it really matter where you are?"

"That's a good point..." she admits, pondering it for a few minutes. I remain silent, patiently waiting, and finally, she says, "Sure, why not? An adventure could be fun."

"Really?" I grin at her so wide that my cheeks ache, but I don't care.

"Really," she grins back, and I kiss her lips passionately.

"I guess we should go pack then."