𝟬𝟭. something to forget

𝗔𝗣𝗛𝗥𝗢𝗗𝗜𝗧𝗘 | nate jacobs
𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝟭

𝗔𝗣𝗛𝗥𝗢𝗗𝗜𝗧𝗘 | nate jacobs𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝟭

[ italic — rue voice over ]

𝙄𝙈𝘼𝙂𝙄𝙉𝙀 𝙔𝙊𝙐'𝙍𝙀 𝙎𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙉𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉, on the run, and the whole country knows your name. That was the reality for Lola and Nate.

Two kids running against more than just the judgment of their parents – they were running against the whole fucking system.

They weren't just in love and adventurous.
They were minors, and that meant their names were on every police frequency and their faces on every news broadcast.

Missing person notices may not have been on every lamppost, but in a world connected by social media, their faces and stories were just a click away.

𝙉𝘼𝙏𝙀 developed a sixth sense for knowing when it was time to move on, when it was time to hit the gas pedal. They slept in low-rent motels, ate in even cheaper diners, and never spoke to anyone.

It was dirty, it was rough, and it wore on them.

He made sure that Lola would eat, that she would be in a safe place when he left the motel at night to somehow come up with money.

But there were the little moments that showed how much Nate loved her. Like the way he insisted on walking on the part of the sidewalk closer to the traffic.

How he stayed up at night watching the door of the motel room while Lola slept.

And when the fear was greatest, he held Lola's hand tighter, as if to say: "I won't let go. No matter what comes.

They thought they could fight the whole world, and for a while it seemed like they were winning.

𝘽𝙐𝙏 𝙎𝙊𝙈𝙀𝙏𝙄𝙈𝙀𝙎, a single decision sets off a chain reaction of events you can't stop, like an avalanche that sweeps everything away.

For Lola and Nate, it was the decision not to stop when the police sirens wailed behind them.

A bad decision that led to a high-speed car chase on a rain-soaked road.

The kind of stuff you see in films, but this wasn't a movie. Nate didn't know these roads; every turn was a risk, every hill an unfamiliar obstacle. But fear was a luxury they couldn't afford.

They knew that stopping would mean the end.

But fate, or maybe the merciless law of probability, caught up with them.

A sudden jolt, a scream, the squeal of tires on wet pavement, the breaking of glass, and a life ended before it could even really begin – the life of their unborn child.