Whispers in the wood

Two months had passed since the night Yakimano and Y/N narrowly escaped Varek's lethal game. Life had slowly started to return to a semblance of normalcy, or at least as normal as it could be for a man with Yakimano's past. He had taken Detective Jensen's advice, stepping away from the frontline to recuperate and reflect. Yet, the tranquility was superficial, a thin veil over the constant vigilance that had become a part of his existence.

Yakimano spent his days strengthening his network of informants and allies, determined to prevent another incident like the one with Varek. But nights were tougher; shadows seemed to move, and every sound was a potential threat lurking outside their safe haven—a small, secluded cabin surrounded by dense woods, chosen for its strategic and defensive advantages.

One evening, as the sun dipped below the tree line, casting long shadows through the cabin windows, Yakimano was on the porch, a cup of coffee in his hands, his eyes scanning the perimeter. Y/N joined him, wrapping a warm shawl around her shoulders against the evening chill.

[Y/N]: "It's beautiful here, you know? So peaceful," she said, her voice a soothing balm to the constant hum of alertness in his mind.

[Yakimano]: "It is. But we can't let our guard down. Not yet."

Y/N nodded, understanding the weight of his words. She leaned against him, her presence a silent strength. As they stood together, the wind carried the faint sound of a branch snapping in the woods. Yakimano tensed, his senses heightening.

Without a word, he set his coffee down and moved off the porch, slipping into the shadows to investigate. Y/N stayed behind, her hand resting on the phone they kept charged for emergencies.

Yakimano moved with stealth, his body automatically adopting the low, alert stance of a hunter. As he approached the source of the sound, he spotted a figure darting through the trees. He followed silently, closing the distance until he could see the intruder clearly—a young man, barely out of his teens, looking back over his shoulder in panic.

Catching up, Yakimano grabbed the intruder's arm, spinning him around. The young man gasped, fear evident in his wide eyes.

[Yakimano]: "Who are you? Why are you here?"

The young man stuttered, his words tumbling out in a rush. "Please, don't hurt me. I'm just running from them. They're after me!"

"Who's after you?" Yakimano's grip tightened, his voice a low growl.

"The—the Cartel. I overheard something I shouldn't have. I thought I could hide out here, didn't know this place was taken!"

Yakimano's mind raced. The Cartel was a dangerous enemy, one he had encountered in his past operations. If they were involved, this was no mere trespass.

"Come with me. You're in danger out here," Yakimano said, releasing the young man but keeping an eye on him as they walked back to the cabin.

Once inside, Yakimano introduced the young man to Y/N and they quickly devised a plan. They would need to contact Detective Jensen and perhaps even move locations.

As Yakimano explained the situation over the phone to Jensen, he watched the young man, who seemed to shrink further into himself with each passing minute.

[Detective Jensen]: "Keep him safe until we can get there. I'll bring backup."

Hanging up, Yakimano turned to Y/N. "Pack what you need. We might have to leave quickly."

The tranquility of their retreat was shattered, replaced by the familiar adrenaline of a life under threat. But this time, Yakimano wasn't just fighting for himself or Y/N. They had unintentionally become protectors, a role that Yakimano was all too ready to embrace, even as the dangers of his past life refused to stay buried. As the night grew darker around them, the cabin became both a haven and a potential battleground, with unknown threats inching ever closer through the shadowy forest.