Chapter 2

Pebblepaw turned around to face the voice, her paws shaking. A brown she-cat, Buzzingleap, loomed over her, eyes blazing.
"W-what do you mean?" Pebblepaw stuttered, making eye contact with the Moonclan deputy.
"I mean, why did you just eat that Moonclan rabbit? It's on our side of the border, and so are you." Buzzingleap repeated.
The liar! Right now Buzzingleap was the one over the border, not her!
She took a deep breath and stepped forwards. "I'm not over the border, you are." She mewed attempting to look calm. "Look, the border line," she pointed with her paw, "is over there, by the river. You're trespassing on Metalclan territory."
The brown she-cat looked at her, her eyes filled with fury. "No, the border is by that pile of rocks. Any cat who's not got a bee-brain would know that."
Pebblepaw un-sheathed her claws and scratched them against the hard stone ground. This cat was getting on her last nerve.

She was about to leap at the Moonclan warrior, but as she prepared to jump, a familiar voice came from behind her.
"From what I can see Buzzingleap, you're the one with a bee-brain." It was Foggynight! The tom-cat walked up to Buzzingleap and looked her in the eyes. "The border was changed a few moons ago, do you not remember?" She was clearly intimidated by the presence of a senior warrior, and completely switched up her act.
"Oh, yes. Sorry about that, I haven't got much sleep recently with the whole lack of pre-" She trailed off, immediately regretting what she said. Pebblepaw saw a hint of amusement in Foggynight's eyes as he watched the Moonclan warrior shuffle her paws in embarrassment.
"I'm not the one who needs to hear that, though I'm sure Copperstar would like to." Buzzingleap's eyes grew wide in fear as she realised what he meant. "Pebblepaw we'll have to pause our patrol for a few moments to deal with this tresspasser, I hope that's fine." Pebblepaw nodded eagerly and flanked the warrior on one side as she and her mentor led the cat to camp.

Pebblepaw looked through the tunnel into the camp, Bumbleclaw and Leapstream were sharing fresh kill beside Highmound, Frostedstream was sat next to Pinekit as he watched his sisters play fight. As she, Foggynight and Buzzingleap entered the camp, she was knocked off of her paws by a writhing mass of Sunkit and Ironkit, who stopped as soon as they realised they'd bumped into something.
"Hi Pebblepaw! Can you play with us?" Sunkit asked, her eyes glittering with hope.
"Who's that? She smells funny." Ironkit said as she prodded Buzzingleap with her paw.
Pebblepaw looked at the two kits, "I can't play now sorry, and this is a cat from Moonclan, we found her on our side of the border."
Pinekit had followed his sisters and was now stood next to them.
"No wonder she smells funny, let's attack her!" Ironkit mewed, leaping at Buzzingleap's front paws. She was quickly followed by her littermates who began to scratch Buzzingleap's paws.
Before they could do much harm, Frostedstream came up to them and shooed them away with her tail. "I'm sure that Buzzingleap has better things to do than entertain a couple of kits. Come on, let's head back to the nursery, you can play fight there." She led her kits back to the nursery, but the kits had drawn almost the whole camp's eyes to Buzzingleap, and soon enough, Copperstar's too.

"Well I never. A Moonclan cat on our territory?" She mewed, stepping forward to examine the timid cat.
Foggynight quickly stepped forward to explain what happened, but as Pebblepaw gazed around, she thought she saw a pair of eyes in a puddle below her, but as quickly as it had appeared, it vanished. She shook it off quickly.
It was probably my imagination.
As she re-directed her attention to Copperstar, she noticed that the leader was looking at her, as if waiting for an answer.
"Pebblepaw, are you coming?" Copperstar asked in a gentle voice. Pebblepaw quickly nodded and followed her into the leaders den.
It was a large cave next to Highmound, and it had a nest in one side of it, with Ivy creeping down the walls. She settled down nest to her mentor as Copperstar began to speak. "Foggynight, I know you told me what you saw, but what about you Pebblepaw?" Pebblepaw almost jumped out of her pelt when she realised Copperstar was talking to her, but she had to at least try to remain natural.
She began to explain what happened, with Copperstar listening intently. Out of the corner of her eye she could see Buzzingleap giving her chest fur a few licks, she's probably embarrassed. A wave of sorrow ran over Pebblepaw, this cat would have to explain what happened when she got back, and she'd probably be set apprentice duties as a punishment.
No, she thought I shouldn't be feeling sorry for her, she's from Moonclan for Starclans sake! She had completely zoned out, so when she got a prod from behind her, she turned around confused.
"Copperstar said you needed to take me back to the border." Buzzingleap mewed quietly. Pebblepaw quickly stood up and made her way out of camp, with Buzzingleap closely behind her. Buzzingleap had only been a warrior for a few moons, and Pebblepaw could remember back when they used to talk at gatherings, so to see Buzzingleap, with her tail and head drooping felt weird. The silence felt deafening, so Pebblepaw had to break it somehow.
"Are you alright?" Pebblepaw mewed to the Moonclan cat.
"I guess, it's just that Shadowhawk will be disappointed with me. She never really liked me, and I thought now I'm a warrior she would, but I guess I'm wrong." Buzzingleap meowed sadly.
Shadowhawk must be her mother! Pebblepaw recalled. I think I'd be sad too if she was mine.
"We're here now, so I guess I'll leave you here. Goodluck." She waved her tail at her and turned around.
You couldn't give me all the prey in the world to have Shadowhawk as a mother!