Chapter 66 - Mocking E/O

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

Little Nitya was busy playing with a stuffed toy— her favourite panda— on Amey's lap, seated on Gauri's revolving chair.

The moment Amey saw Gauri entering her cabin, he placed his phone on the table, the screen displaying the chatbox where Amey had sent a picture of Nitya, to Gauri, to lure her to her clinic.

He succeeded. He had to, obviously. After all, it was a mother receiving a photo of her two-year-old daughter playing under the supervision of her abusive ex-husband.

"Amey." Gauri breathed. "Quit this play. It is not funny at all."

"Oh, it's not meant to be funny. Chill out." Amey picked up Nitya, carefully put her on the floor, and then walked towards Gauri. "Don't you dare think of this as a joke, Miss Gauri Purohit."

Gauri's sharp gaze remained on Amey's piercing one. "So this is for getting away from your cursed last name now, is it?"

"Maybe," Amey replied as he relaxed his shoulders and slipped his hands into his pants' pockets. "I would rather you think of this as against the nights when you went up against me and my brother. No way I'm carrying these scars left by you while you roam around without any, given by me. You wanted this, didn't you? Sweetheart?"

"Amey, shut—"

"You've always loved arguing and fighting with me. So let's have it now. Shall we?"

Gauri glanced at the tiny Nitya who was innocently staring at the two adults with her doe eyes. Amey followed Gauri's gaze.

"In front of her would be more fun, don't you think?"

She wanted to kick Amey at a place that would never let him forget the wrongs he'd done to her, but Gauri fell weak in front of her daughter. She couldn't even take her mind off the impact she might induce on her daughter by adding to the argument initiated by Amey.

Amey knew the effect their daughter had on his ex-wife. He knew she wouldn't dare to do anything in Nitya's presence.

He curled his right hand's index finger and placed it under Gauri's chin to lift it. When Gauri lifted her gaze to match Amey's stare, he snaked his left arm over her waist to pull her closer.

"There, honey. I have it. My answer. You do not think so." He traced her face with the same index finger and slowly tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Issokay! This was only to let you know that if I can open your clinic and get your... no. OUR daughter out of your sight; all without you knowing, I can do a hell lot of more than just this. Let's not show our useless arrogance to our ex-husband and his family, alright? Dar-lin-g?"

Gauri did not utter a word. In fact, it seemed like she was waiting for something to happen all along.

Amey smirked as if his dialogue was somehow effective on her. He let go of her and took a step back.

Fixing his overcoat and dusting it off, he turned to pick up his phone from the table. He kept it in his coat's pocket when his gaze fell on the ever-so-sweet-looking Nitya.

He chuckled and smiled at her. "Bye Nitya! Don't trouble your mother too much okay? You know how much I care about her, right? Let's be a good daughter!"

Nitya smiled ear-to-ear, clearly showing her minuscule teeth and the peeking gums. "Bye-bye, dada!" She sang with the utmost excitement.

Amey turned around to find Gauri's narrowed eyes piercing through him. "Cool, then. Bye, Gauri!" He spread his arms and stepped closer to hug her.