35

"You sink into my clothes

This invasion makes me feel

Worthless, hopeless, sick

I'm so sick infected with where I live

Let me live without this empty bliss

Selfishness

I'm so

I'm so sick."

I'm So Sick - Flyleaf

***

---March 19th, 1991

"Lita Monroe, you won't believe it," Melissa almost squealed into the phone receiver. "You've got to get down here and see it for yourself."

"What won't I believe?" Lita asked, kneading her head after waking up from a long night of packing and planning. "Also, how'd you get my new number?"

"Nevermind how I got that, it won't matter when you come down here and see what just happened!"

"Missy, it's 6am, I don't really want to get out of bed. I'm tired." Lita groaned into the phone to emphasize her predicament.

"You'll thank me when you get down here—ASAP Lita!"

"Yeah, I'm sure I will," Lita fake-cried into her receiver, hanging up the phone on Melissa.

Lita Monroe got out of bed slowly, making sure not to wake up Axl, who lay next to her. On her way to the bathroom, Lita stepped on yet another piece of stray transparent tape: remnants from the many boxes being opened last night when Lita needed to find something.

Slowly over the month, Lita and Axl moved in together: her apartment was becoming too crowded with memories from past altercations and relationships–she couldn't live there with Axl anymore, couldn't even go back to his place, knowing Erin had once lived there. Axl thought similarly, not too idle to walk the same halls as that asshole Jack, sleep on the same mattress as that man. So mutually, they bought a house.

It was a large one, more modern in look (a minimalistic style that they both enjoyed), out of Los Angeles and into Malibu's hills. It wasn't too far from the studio, but it was perfect for their new life. It was where they'd raise their children, Lita knew then.

The piece of tape stuck to her sock as Lita turned on the bathroom light, squinting. Light purple rings were prominent under Lita's eyes, for she and Axl had both been staying up late nights since they moved in, wanting to unpack quickly before going back on tour soon. But it wasn't as quickly, for they had always been planning their wedding.

Lita showered, dressed, and made her and Axl breakfast before leaving for the studio as Melissa wished. It was eight when she got there, and Missy still had that glee on her face that Lita could sense through the phone.

"What did you want me here for on a Wednesday, Melissa," Lita asked, faking a yawn to piss Melissa off.

"We went Gold!" Melissa yelled out, spinning before falling into a leather chair in the reception area of Geffen Records.

"Really? Gold? Where's Della, Jack?"

"They're in the studio. Oh, I can't believe this"

"Me either," Lita smiled. Melissa led her up the elevator and to their studio where Della and Jack were, marveling at a giant gold record, framed in glass with the Silent Cherries logo under it. Lita walked up to it, feeling the glass. And she turned to the band's manager: "This is really big."