36

"So, if you ask my why she wouldn't say goodbye

I know somewhere inside

There is a special light still shining bright

And even on the darkest night, she can't deny."

This I Love - Guns N' Roses

-

---April 4th, 1991

ROLLING STONE EXCLUSIVE: AN INTERVIEW WITH LITA MONROE

The breeze of a warm early spring day wafts into the living room as I sat down today with the 'Silent Cherries' lead singer, Lita Monroe. I was welcomed in by Lita and Axl [Rose, singer for the band Guns N' Roses] with no hostility that would normally be applied by the pair to the media.

I followed the two through their newly purchased Malibu mansion, which was far more extravagant than I'd expected from two mid-westerners. I listened to the back-and-forth dialogue they shared as Lita and I settled into two leather cushions just near the doorways leading to the backyard. Complying with her request, this interview was not visually recorded, but copied tapes were made in order to deliver the most accurate retelling.

Before I could ask the first question, Lita complimented the leather boots I wore, comparing them to a pair she'd received in the early 1980s from a 'low-life music exec' during a short-lived spout of bar-singing in Seattle's underground scene. I asked her briefly about the encounter, and she told me that the shoes were a present from the man, hoping to sign her (solo) to his up-in-coming label, but also as a motive to sleep with her.

Lita moved on from this topic, and I set my tape recorder down on the table between us, pressing play. The interview is as follows:

Recently, you had a new music video come out. A beach-themed video for the song 'Pacific Coast Highway.' I thought it was interesting you incorporated lots of pyro. How'd you come up with an idea like that for such a slow, sultry song?

I'd always wanted to work with fire. The other singles we have, though it's still undecided whether videos will go alongside them-I really didn't feel like they had that aura, that vibe I was going for to include some pyrotechnics. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I could hate the lyrics to any song I've written, but none were intense enough-hell, this one wasn't really either, but I do like to exaggerate.

A lot of us down at the Stone really loved the cinematics-the sunset, the coloring of the video, with the prominent pinks and yellows that contrast well against the lyrics-which are like the opposite of everything you lay out visually.

Well, that's good. That's what we were all goin' for.

Last I checked, it was MTV's most replayed video. Also, the album's gone gold! Was that a surreal moment for you all in the band?

Surreal might not be the best word to describe it. I think we all felt like we were in a dream-at least I myself was. It's bizarre, 'cause it was like 'Here's an award for doing your job super successfully and making us [the label] lots of money' and all I could think about was 'Oh my fucking gosh, somebody pinch me, this doesn't feel real.' I might've been the only one there who thought it was unimaginable.

And why do you say that? The 'Silent Cherries' are self-made, aren't they? Surely your own hard work is to blame, is it not?

Sometimes it doesn't feel like that. Even with our first album-it still surprises me that we were nominated for a VMA! I do believe everyone in the band is extremely talented [Monroe looks out the window, thinking about her next words] but maybe that insecurity inside me told me it wasn't good enough-so of course, then, I'd be surprised at winning the damn award!