14 || Always The Tone Of Surprise

"Don't give it much thought, man," Jake says, "If you do, the only thing you'll be left with is h-e-a-d-a-c-h-e

"Don't give it much thought, man," Jake says, "If you do, the only thing you'll be left with is h-e-a-d-a-c-h-e."

Spelling that out was unnecessary. I pinch the bridge of my nose and sigh, "I can't help it," Headaches have become a part of me, I swear. Clearing my throat, I resume jogging, "What's going on there?"

A change of topic was much needed.

The fact of how nonchalant Mom was being irates me. It's like everyone forgot that there was another member in the house. Frank and I couldn't even say anything else about Dad or the time spent with him just because Mom deemed that unworthy.

People die all the time.

It happened in the past, so kindly do not kill other's smiles by bringing that up.

Why don't you forget about it?

My brain's not some device, for God's sake; where I'll just press delete permanently and it'll cease to exist there.

I still remember. It's all etched in my mind. Every thought, every memory, the unnerving scene that unfolded right in front of my eyes. A scene I never thought I'd see. One I wish that never happened.

The way his defeated eyes met my traumatized ones. The way the knife cut through. The pool of blood...then...nothing.

"Bro, you there?" Jake's voice breaks through and my eyes fly open. I'm still on the tracks, right.

"Hmm?"

"I feel bad for your future girlfriend, Harlow." A dramatic sigh, "You're gonna forget whatever she's talking about,"

I chuckle, classic Jake. "I'm positive I won't forget even a word she speaks." An image of copper red hair and blue eyes comes to mind...just like it did at the contest. God, what is this-

"Is that a hint that you're gonna break the bro code once you're in a relationship? Ouch."

He is such a drama queen. "I won't break the bro code, Jake-"

"Good, if you do I'll break your neck. Wait," he pauses, "Can necks be broken? Or are they cut apart? Huh, I've never thought of that, have you?"

"No."

"Understandable, anyway in response to your earlier question. Frank is currently questioning James; he's so cool, Frank. He said he'll play Valorant with me later since a certain someone doesn't."

Okay, I'm genuinely offended. "Hey, we played that game yesterday, didn't we?"

"We ignore that. And then the girls are with Josie and Christine, going over wedding stuff,"

"Seph?"

The question comes on its own accord, and damn, I shouldn't have asked. Jake's tone drips with smugness, "Missing her already?"