Chapter 7

"Girls, can you please hurry up? It's the last day of the year and we are gonna be late!" Mason's dad said.

"It's always the same with them" Adele's dad sighed.

"Dinner has already started, we are gonna miss all the good stuff!"

"We are here, stop complaining" Toni said, walking into the room.

"Holy shit" her husband whispered when he saw her. "Forget about everything I just said. The wait was worth it."

"Thank you" she smiled.

"What about me? Don't I look good?" Elizabeth said, doing a twirl in front of her husband.

"The most gorgeous woman ever" he replied.

"And Adele? Where is she?" Mason asked.

"Here" she said, joining the others. "I had to go back to change my shoes. I told them I can't walk in heels, but they don't listen."

"You can, you just don't want to" her mum said.

"Whatever."

"Mason... Mase, hey" Luca said, elbowing him in the ribs. "Are you checking out my sister?"

"What?" he replied, his eyes still on her while she argued with her mum.

"Bro, you definitely are checking out Adele."

"No, I'm not."

"You are blushing" Alex pointed out.

"I'm not blushing or checking out Adele, shut up. Both of you" he said, walking away from them and joining his parents. But he was doing both things, and especially checking out Adele. She looked stunning that night, it was impossible not to look at her.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Three, two, one... Happy new year!" everyone in the room screamed.

"Happy new year, guys!" Adele said, raising her flute.

"Happy new year!" Luca, Mason and Alex replied before drinking.

"I think I'm gonna need a refill. This champagne is so good."

"Careful there, Addie. Remember what happened the last time you drank too much champagne?" Mason teased her.

"You ended up singing "wannabe" by the Spice Girls in front of everyone" Alex laughed.

"Oh dear, I had forgotten about that" she chuckled.

"Ok, enough talking about my sister. It's time for our new year kisses" Luca said.

"Our what?" she laughed.

"Luca and I always share a kiss to start the new year. It brings good luck" Alex explained.

"You do what?" Mason said, almost choking with his drink.

"This" he said, cupping Luca's face and kissing him.

"Oh my god" Adele gasped.

"Now it's your turn."

"Hell no" she said.

"We could do with some good luck, tho" Mason said.

"And it will be just a peck" Alex shrugged.

"I said no."

"C'mon, Addie. It's just a peck! Scared you may like it and not be able to stop?" Luca teased her.

"Ha ha ha" she replied, rolling her eyes.

"One kiss, Adele."

"Nope."

"Kiss, kiss, kiss!" Luca started chanting.

"Shh! Someone could hear you!" Adele said, hitting her brother.

"Ouch, that hurt! But Addie, they are too busy drinking, dancing and also kissing. No one will be looking at you."

"He's not gonna stop until we do it" Mason said.

"He won't, no" Adele sighed.

"Then?"

"Ok, fine. But just a peck."

"Just a peck" Mason smiled. "Ready?"

"I guess" she said. But she wasn't ready. At all.

Suddenly, Mason was too close to her, his hands cupping her face. And then... Then he was kissing her, and it definitely wasn't a peck. It was a proper kiss, one that made her feel goosebumps all over her body.

"See? It wasn't that difficult" Mason said against her lips.

"Yeah" she whispered.

"You can let go now, guys" Luca laughed. "Though if you want to keep kissing for the rest of the night, you know we won't oppose to it."

"Shut up" Adele said, taking a step back and finally snapping out of whatever had just happened between her and Mason.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Happy new year, Addie."

"Happy new year, Mase" she yawned when they met in the hallway.

"Did you sleep well?"

"Ugh, like a baby. I'm gonna miss that bed when we go back home."

"You can always ask where it is from."

"I actually could, yes" she laughed. "Happy new year, everyone."

"Happy new year" hers and Mason's parents said when they joined them for breakfast.

"Why are you looking at us as if we have grown another head?" Mason chuckled.

"Guys, did you... Did you sleep together?" Elizabeth asked.

"What?" they both said at the same time.

"Well, you just walked in together laughing and smiling. And after what happened last night..." Toni said.

"Last night? What do you mean, mum?" Mason asked.

"I think they are talking about this" Alex said behind him, showing him his phone.

"Mason Mount and Adele Turlington caught sharing a new year kiss."

"You gotta be kidding me" Adele said. "How did they manage to get that photo?"

"Looks like someone recognised you and followed you around. There are more pics from last night."

"Guys... You know you can tell us anything, right?" Elizabeth said. "You can trust us."

"There is nothing to tell, mum. We weren't kissing."

"Weren't you?" her dad chuckled.

"I mean, yes but no. It was just a joke, one of Luca's stupid ideas."

"We always share a kiss to welcome the new year because they say it brings good luck, and we asked them to do the same" Alex explained. "It wasn't anything serious."

"The press have taken it out of context like they do with everything. It didn't mean anything, right Mase?" Adele said, looking at him.

"What?" he asked.

"The kiss from last night. It didn't mean anything, it was just a joke."

"Yeah, yeah" he muttered.

"Mason, love... Are you ok?" Toni asked him.

"Yeah, yeah" he repeated. "Just hungry."

"You sure?"

"Yes" he smiled. Though his mum knew that it wasn't an honest smile. Her, and Adele. Something was definitely going on with him.