Thirty-One: The Remaining Pieces.

Spencer lay coughing on the lawn a safe distance away from the house, Melissa out cold next to her. The structure burned steadily, an inferno of yellow and orange. Every so often, a mini explosion spit sparks high into the sky. The upstairs level, where they'd recently been imprisoned, was nothing but a brittle, blazing carcass.

The other girls crawled over to them. "Is everyone okay?" Spencer shouted. Emily nodded. Hanna coughed out a yes. Aria had her face in her hands, but weakly said she was fine. A sharp wind whipped around their faces. It was heavy with the odor of charred wood and dead bodies.

"I can't get that letter out of my head," Emily said in a monotone, shivering in her thin sweater. "Ali was so angry at her sister for switching places and sending her away she killed her."

"Yep," Spencer said, shifting her weight on the bumpy ground.

"Ian had nothing to do with it. Billy didn't, either. Ali just needed to pin it on someone. And then she was going to kill us." It was like Emily needed to say all of this out loud to convince herself that it had really happened.

"It was Courtney who talked to us when we tried to steal her Time Capsule flag. It was the only way to make her parents think she was the sane twin..." Aria said in equal disbelief, wiping soot from her face. "And Courtney picked us at the charity drive because she had to—she couldn't be friends with Naomi and Riley anymore. She didn't know them—she only knew us."

"Naomi and Riley told me Ali ditched them for no reason at all," Hanna sighed.

Spencer hugged her knees. Another spark rose high in the air. A terrified squirrel skittered down a nearby tree and took off across the lawn. "When Ian came to my porch, he said he was on the verge of figuring out a crazy secret that would turn Rosewood upside-down. He must have known that Courtney had been home that weekend."

"And Ali must have known we'd think Jason or Wilden set that fire," Hanna wailed. "Except the fire didn't go as planned—she got hurt. So she called Wilden, and he whisked her away, thinking she was following her parents' order to stay hidden. But really, she left to make us look crazier."

"And I guess Ali put those pictures on Billy's laptop," Spencer continued, wincing as something else inside the house popped and crackled. She checked on Melissa, who held her face in her hands, quietly sobbing. "She was also the one who'd called the cops and tipped them off, saying Billy killed Jenna."

"But she killed Jenna," Aria said.

Everyone fell silent. Spencer shut her eyes, trying to imagine Ali taking beautiful, shy, blind Jenna Cavanaugh and throwing her into that ditch. It was too horrible to comprehend.

"Remember that picture A sent Emily of Ali, Courtney, and Jenna together?" Spencer said after a moment. "Jenna was the only person besides Ali's family and Wilden who knew there were twins. Maybe Jenna suspected the first switch. She met Courtney the same weekend it happened." She cocked her head. "But why would Ali send us that photo if she didn't want us to know what Jenna knew?"

"Because she could," Hanna answered. "Maybe she banked on Jenna never saying anything. And then when it seemed like Jenna might, she..." She trailed off, burying her face in her hands. "You know."

Melissa lifted up her face with a groan. It was covered with thick stripes of ash and dirt. There was a gash on her shoulder and rope burns on her hands and feet. She smelled like Ian's rotting flesh. Queasiness roiled in Spencer's gut.

Spencer reached out to clean a streak of ash from her sister's hair. Her eyes filled with tears. She couldn't believe how wrong she'd been about Melissa. How wrong they'd all been. "Why did Ali want to hurt you?"