Those Who Forget The Past.

Imagine it's your senior year and you're sitting in class, less than thrilled to start another day at school. Your spray tan is looking glowing and healthy, and you're wearing your new Juicy hoodie (oh yes, Juicy's on its way back again), and your mind's on your crush, the boy who caddies for your dad at the country club. You're painting your fingernails Chanel Jade, waiting for the teacher to start droning away, when suddenly this new year walks into the room. She's cute—way cuter than you are—and there's something about her that makes you want to stare and stare. You think, hmm, maybe she likes green Chanel nail polish, too. You bet she'd like Golf Caddy boy as well. And you bet if Golf Caddy boy had a choice, he'd choose her over you.

As she looks up and down the aisles, her eyes land on you and stay there. It's like she can see inside you, deep down to your wants and desires, the secrets no one knows. You shudder, feeling invaded, but for reasons you can't explain, you also want to tell her your secrets. You want to win her over. You want her to like you best.

"Class," the teacher says, touching the new girl's arm. "This is Laura St. DeLions."

Or Sara Dillion Tunisi.

Or Lanie Lisia Dunstor.

Or Daniella Struision.

Your brain stalls for a moment. There's something familiar about those names, isn't there? Sort of like a scrambled version of your favorite song, or an anagram of a common phrase. The girl looks familiar, too—you've seen that sparkly, I-know-something-you-don't smirk before. You think of a picture on a milk carton you saw long ago. You think of that girl on the news. Could it be...?

Nah, you decided. That's crazy. You wave at her and she waves back. Suddenly, you have a feeling she's going to pick you as her brand-new very best friend. You have a feeling your whole life is going to change.

And just like that, it does.